1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for a staff meeting on writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nicstil, Dec 10, 2017.

1. nicstil

nicstil New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have recently been given the role of writing coordinator in our school and need to run some staff meetings. I have done run one on moderation of writing using new assessment grids, but other than that I can't think of what else I can do with the staff. Does anyone have any ideas? I work in a one form entry primary school LF-Year 6. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

What about a meeting to pool information on all the websites out there that are ace for writing - pobble365, Once upon a picture, Telescopic text as well as a million of others - all free! You could chunk into film clips, GPS, Vocab etc. Maybe set up using AIrhead for all the links to the sites?

alexanderosman likes this.
  3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

A sharing good practice one where everyone shares something that works well for them in writing.

A ideas for peer/self assessment one where you could bring ideas you've found but also other people get to share theirs.

Opportunities for cross-curricular writing brainstorming where you all think about how writing could fit in meaningfully in other subject areas.

Hmmmm and ask your team what they would like to support them.

theluckycat likes this.
  4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Long term and medium term planning.
    Marking...
    Writing using class novels.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What is going well in your school? Share that and how to keep it going.
    What isn't going so well? Share ideas of what could be done.

It's hard to say, without knowing anything about your school and the priorities.
    What is desperately needed in one school, would be pointless in another.

whitestag and alexanderosman like this.
  6. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

As @caterpillartobutterfly said - what are the areas for development in writing in your school? You need to identify these through your monitoring, and use that information to plan the input you provide. Any CPD should be designed to have a specific impact.

whitestag likes this.
  7. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

How good is your staff's grammar knowledge?

8. Landofla

Yeh do a staff skills audit and suggest cpd to upskill where needed.

@thehawk I would be really annoyed if I had to sit through grammar staff meetings. I can see how some staff might find it useful, especially if new to the year group.

Have you got any links with other schools? You could meet other year group teachers to share good practice? /moderate if useful?

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

What about letter writing? You could get everyone to write to the head about the difference between a staff meeting and staff training :)

10. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

Grammar teaching can be fun and so to can grammar staff training!

11. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Ironic post of the week :)

12. how about working on a progressive story i wrote?

zza-zza likes this.
  13. Landofla

@thehawk I didn't say it couldn't but I would expect staff grammar training to be done during an INSET or twilight session, not after school. I'd be fuming, probably along with the other upper key stage 2 stage. I strongly believe staff should only receive training if they need it in that area and not have to sit through sessions on things they already know.

I always appreciate when time is spent doing something meaningful during staff meetings and I appreciate it even more when I'm allowed to decide what that meaningful task is.

Pomza likes this.
  14. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Similar to the point made by @alexanderosman, what does the data look like? What does your monitoring as subject leader tell you? What are the teaching staff telling you? For example, you could have a low number of children achieving higher levels at Year 2 or Year 6 over the last few years. Why? What could be done to address this? Is spelling a weakness throughout the school? What might have an impact on this? Staff CPD should always be tight and focused on the school's identified needs. You can't just throw a blanket over everything, as writing is such a large area.

15. denice304

denice304 New commenter

Sentence structure and punctuation is always a good one

16. choccietwirl

choccietwirl New commenter

Don't run meetings just for the sake of it. Identify the areas of writing that the school needs to improve in, offer CPD and then measure the impact of your work. Anything else is probably a waste of time.

17. denice304

denice304 New commenter

Good advice