1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas for a really good reading display

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Aug 15, 2012.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

I want to make a really good reading display. Have made giant pictures of some chracters eg harry potter, matilda etc but dont know what to do now. I was thinking something 3d might be nice. I think I saw in some school they had made minature books from paper that had little covers on them and everything but can't seem to find them on the internet. I just really want to create the 'wow' factor when they walk in to the room but am in need of inspriation. I did consider making a 3d tree of some sort for them to sit under to read but I have just been in to a classroom in another part of the school and found they had done somethin similar. Any ideas would be brill

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've got one of those laundry sock hanger things with multiple clips on. I'm goign to hang it from the ceiling and clip on some netting (£5 for two curtains in IKEA) to make a teepee sort of shape reading den. I have a giant floor cushion (large enough for about 6-8 children to sit and read comfortably) that will go inside the teepee. The shelves, kind of box ones, will prop out the sides of the netting to keep it in place.

Then there are other smaller cushions inside and a display board at child height that they will fill with whatever they wish to do with reading.

I'm also going to safety pin the key words to do with our topic to the netting so hopefully the children will learn to read the key words and see the link between reading and other learning.

Not are beautifully artistic as yours sounds, but will work well for the class I'm having.

3. groovyshell83

minnieminx that sounds good. I like the key word idea and the display board. hmmmm my thinking cap is gettting larger!!

4. cheryl13

cheryl13 New commenter

last year we chose our favourite book and wrote a book review of it, putting the reviews in a folder and the books in a basket so children could read each others books.
    We then used pastles to sketch the authors of the book and put these on display next to a picture of them.
    We also collected cereal boxes etc and painted them white, then replicated the cover/blurb/spine of the book on these and had a 'shelf' with them on - looked fab on the wall and lasted 2 terms before they had all read each others and we had to change it!

5. groovyshell83

I like the cereal box idea. This would be good to make my display a bit more 3d. brilliant. Thankyou