1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for a reading/chilling area?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teachermiss, May 5, 2012.

1. Hello, I am going to set up a "chilling zone" in class as a means of encouraging more reading. I plan to have cushions, beanbags, books on shelves, magazine rack with magazines, cd player/headphones with relaxing music and audio stories, stool with lighting/lamp. However, am unable to place the area in the corner of the classroom and have to put it against one side of the classroom with not much room. Any ideas of how to section off the area and of anything else I can put in the area, thanks.

2. Hello, I am going to set up a "chilling zone" in class as a means of encouraging more reading. I plan to have cushions, beanbags, books on shelves, magazine rack with magazines, cd player/headphones with relaxing music and audio stories, stool with lighting/lamp. However, am unable to place the area in the corner of the classroom and have to put it against one side of the classroom with not much room. Any ideas of how to section off the area and of anything else I can put in the area, thanks.

3. Pop up tents, gazebo, voiles hung from ceiling? We're thinking of putting some children's magazines into our reading area - which we are about to makeover into an ice kingdom (our class theme is penguins). We've got an igloo tent which we're going to put torches and some woolly hats etc into, big cushions, maybe some voiles in blues and silvers to hang from ceiling, hanging icicles etc.We were concerned about not making it too girlie, hence going for an ice explorer theme rather then anything too pretty. Also going to put some writing materials - gel pens, nice paper etc - into there too. (This is a year 1 classroom.)

Incidentally, following a visit from the school library service last week, we have also gone through our book boxes and taken out over 50% of what we had - anything tatty, old or generally a bit naff has been removed - to be sold or given away - and the kids now think they have all new books in the box! Looks so much better!

Or how about making a reading den out of boxes etc that the children could help to decorate? Saw a brilliant palace made out of shoe boxes in a school I visited the other day...

4. To mark out my reading area I bought a leaf canopy from IKEA and put large cushions under it. The children say they feel like they are sitting under a tree to read. I removed about 70% of the books and arranged the rest according to the ability groups in the class (as a suggestion - they don't have to stick to books for their group). I made stick puppets (******) for a story we had read and added a wordmat. I have put up photos of children from the support group role playing a story, alongside some words from the story so they can retell the story. They seem to love looking at themselves too! We also have a listening station, little boxes of finger puppets, books the children have written and books about our topic etc. The best thing I have done and will continue to do is to plan in Teacher/TA time with every group to model how to use the book corner and the activities in it.

5. This doesn't really answer your question but it may be helpful anyway. If you have a branch of B&M near you, GO THERE! http://www.bmstores.co.uk/ I popped in the other day for batteries and came out laden with all kinds of gorgeous goodies for my classroom: cushions, fairylights, cute storage containers and pretty plants, as well as 1000 reward stickers for 99p, Horrid Henry books at 99p each and a ton of raffle ticket prizes the kids will go weak at the knees for (all 99p). IT WAS BRILLIANT! x

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Fridge freezer?

7. Thank you, have given me some things to think about now!