1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for a one-off poetry class for yr8 as part of job interview

Discussion in 'English' started by curlyclaire35, Apr 26, 2011.

1. curlyclaire35

curlyclaire35 New commenter

Hi,
    I have a first interview next week and haven't had the opportunity to teach much poetry. As part of the selection process I am going to be observed teaching a poem of my choice to a year 8 group. The kids at the school are very easily distracted and not big fans of poetry so the poem needs to really engage them, so any suggestions for poems plus any tips on strategies would be gratefully received. Thankyou.

cc72.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Do you know the poetry archive site?
    http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/home.do
    Lots of great poems and teaching ideas too. Some reading of the poems by the poets too.
    Also, many poetry resources on Herts Grid:
    http://www.thegrid.org.uk/learning/english/ks3-4-5/ks3/drama-poetry-prose/poetry/index.shtml
    Look on BBC class clips and you'll find videos of poets performing their poems. Select secondary English and then in the next box there are several choices for poetry.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/
    It would be better though, if you can, to choose a poem that you are already familiar with and feel confident presenting.

3. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I once had to do this at an interview. I used Charles Causley's "What has happened to Lulu?" I gave groups of students the stanzas on separate cards and asked them to sequence the poem. Then we did some activities related to the poem eg police interview with the Mum, writing the note left by Lulu etc. There were other activities too but it's so long ago I can't remember them! Hope you get on ok. Good luck.

4. A great poem I used for a low ability Yr8 lesson interview was 'The Word Party' by Richard Edwards. Another good one I have found is called The Lesson by Roger McGough.

Hope this helps!

5. Too late perhaps!

Nice funny poem to teach and draw and use as an inspiration for more....

I know a man
    Who is upside down
    And when he goes to bed
    His head 's not on the pillow no
    His feet are there instead

Sing it together, say it while crying, loud, soft...

Have them draw it.

To start; let them have at the mixed up words and see if they can make head or tail of it.
    Then give them a picture.

Good luck.

Jan van der Heide
    Holland

6. Our yr8 were doing a cross-curricular carnival project. As part of this the Eng dept did a one-off poetry lesson on Benjamin Zephania's "Wrong Radio Station". There are clips available online of him reciting the poem that you can play if the room has an IWB.
    I did it with a very low level, mostly boys group and they loved it.
    You have to make it very clear at the beginning that he is NOT Bob Marley!!!!!
    It gives you lots of opportunities to talk about voice, dialect, accent, rhythm
    It is interesting to see which students get the point and which ones just likethe sound of it
    We ended the lesson with the poem divided amongst groups and recited - each group making as much effort as they felt appropriate to match Zephania's rhythm or to adapt it to a rhythm of their own.
    Lots of fun