1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for a KS2 Forces topic?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JumpingStarfish, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Having to have a science topic next term, and was planning on using forces as my main topic. Has anyone done a topic based around this? What was the topic called? What other subjects did you link it with? I've got a year 3/4 class.

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. Ok, to show I'm not just waiting for ideas to be handed to me, I've had the thought that I'm going to called the topic 'May the Force Be With You' (see what I did there?!) Going to link it to Star Wars for Literacy, with a focus on descriptions of imaginary worlds.

And that's where my thought process has ended right now! Anyone done anything similar?

3. I did fairgrounds and loved it, tons of forces there!

4. Thanks, what year group did you do that with? Thought about that but was worried it was a bit KS1?

5. I did it with year 6 and we went on a trip to a theme park too. Their understanding is SO good now, works ll with properties of materials too.

6. world war two and parachutes. Also made dambusters dam and launched ping pong balls at it

7. I did Forces in the Playground. We went to a local adventure playground. Children got to climb on the pyramid net thingy, roundabout, flying foxes, swings, slides etc. Couple of parents came. Did some videoing and pictures and then we could load them up on the IWB and kids could mark on where the forces are.
    Set up a few experiment cards for them to investigate while they are there. How can they go faster/slower down the slide, or collect some objects to time going down the slide.
    Put a backpack with some sand in it on to climb up the pyramid. How much harder is it? Flying fox, big push, little push on the swings, using your legs etc.
    If there is a pond/water table or fountain you can do bouyancy.
    I did a wiki on it for a university assignment, not sure if it is still around but there are probably other units around like that. It was all science based not an integrated unit and was based on the 5Es inquiry model.
    There is a unit at Primary Connections from Australia on forces, you might have to buy the book. But most of the sheets and marking scaffolds are online. Called "Smooth Moves" for our Year 4. All the units have a literacy focus and activities embedded.
    http://www.science.org.au/primaryconnections/curriculum-resources/smooth-moves.html
    or for our year 2 one called Push/Pull
    http://www.science.org.au/primaryconnections/curriculum-resources/push-pull.html