1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for a family assembly for year R!?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by funky fairy10, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I've been at my new school since September and this term we have started family assemblies which are 'performed' to the whole school and the children's mums and dads but I'm really stuck as to what to do? I was wondering if anyone had any whizzy ideas?
    I thought possibly telling an oral story which the children have been learning how to do but I'm aware of the possibility of stage fright! Or just keeping it simple and doing some songs and maybe a write dance dance?
    x

2. I've been at my new school since September and this term we have started family assemblies which are 'performed' to the whole school and the children's mums and dads but I'm really stuck as to what to do? I was wondering if anyone had any whizzy ideas?
    I thought possibly telling an oral story which the children have been learning how to do but I'm aware of the possibility of stage fright! Or just keeping it simple and doing some songs and maybe a write dance dance?
    x

3. We have class assemblies every half term and I know whta you mean about stage fright, I have 9 children and although they are confident to speak in class put them in front of the school and parents and some of them go mute.
    We tend to show a selection of what we have been doing that half term or since the last assembly so a mixture of songs, stories, art, literacy basically whatever the children want to show thier parents.
    Funnily enough it is our assembly this coming week and we are doing some chinese dance, SEAL work on friends, fairtrade and some work from our Maths Day last week.
    Our assemblies last about 20minutes and I usually act as prompt and narrator as to get the children word perfect takes too much rehearsing for my liking, but I suppose it depends how slick it needs to be. They are only 4/5 after all. We also try to have a bit of audience participation eg describing a story book character-who is it, or a song taht everyone can join in with.
    I also have a rolling slideshow of recent photos that everyone can watch as they are waiting, I also put it back on at the end.
    I hope this helps but remember they have the aahh factor working in thier favour so can get away with most things-waving at thier parents, picking thier nose etc!
    Good Luck