1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for 15 min MFL interview obs in year 3?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by esturner, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have a PGCE Primary with MFL, completed 3 yrs ago and have still to complete my NQT induction (1 term remaining) as have been unable to secure long term work in that time. Have done mostly supply work, then spent the last 4 terms covering p/t maternity leaves in a school where I finally started my NQT, but of course its taking longer than normal due to the p/t hours. Latest contract due to end 13th July :eek:(
    Just had a letter today to say I have an interview on Wednesday for a 0.6 role in a primary. The job is PPA cover in MFL, woo-hoo! This is the sort of thing I hoped for when I did my PGCE! However, with a busy weekend with hubby away, I don't have much time to prepare and my mind has gone completely blank as to what I could teach in a 15 minute observation at interview. It will be a year 3 class and letter states I can teach in an MFL of my choice (which I find quite strange - anyone else?)
    So... any brainwaves? I haven't actually taught ANY MFL for some time as currently teaching in Y2. I don't know what language the school currently teaches or if the pupils have any experience in MFL. Don't want to pitch it too easy or advanced, so needs to be a stand-alone session I think that would be suitable for either situation. I'm thinking maybe use a song, but need to ensure my LO and success criteria are relevant, aaarrrgghhhh!
    I'd be really grateful of any advice you can offer.

2. runaway

runaway New commenter

Contact the school as soon as possible and ask them! They want to employ someone with initiative so get back to them and ask about prior learning.
    You've been told any language because they are expecting you to be co-ordinating the subject and therefore taking full responsibility for the direction the school takes with language learning. Get up to speed fast about how you are going to ensure progression across the school and not accumulation of topic vocab. Find out what is being taught at the linked secondary (secondaries if necessary). Be prepared for questions on what you will say to parents who are unhappy that their child may be studying a different language at ks3 / who think their child should be concentrating on English not some foreign language etc. be prepared to explain how benefits of MFL impact on literacy and whole curriculum.
    Ask about resourcing that would be available if you take the position. Then go back to your KS2 framework which is still available online and look at the year 3 page for your objectives and pitch. Then do something YOU enjoy and that ideally will have quick impact. Try something like the recount of le navet enorme on the MFL Sunderland site or a song that will quickly show the children doing something. Remember expectation of progress is in writing too and that doesn't necessarily mean with a pen!
    Smile and have fun!

3. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

How brave are you? I've done 'Heads, shoulders, knees and toes,'with y3 in Spanish, they loved it.Very excitable group it was so they were really 'up for it'. Obviously lots of repitition as you teach the words and build up the song.
    I could even rip the track I use as an mp3 and send it to you if you let me have your e-maIL
    Another idea, If you're into Spanish. I use the 'Macarena' (I can rip a good speed version of the track for you) to teach counting. There are 12 hand movements to the Macarena 'verse' and the children have to chant a number on each beat as they dance (see youtubeif you don't know the dance). You could get them to count to 12 or do a times table if they know 1-12). I use it here in Spain to teach my Spanish class the times tables in English. It's a riot!
    As the poster above says, do something you enjoy/feel comfortable with, so if this isn't 'you', don't do it.
    Best of luck. Show your enthusiasm which comes across from your post.
    JIS

4. Just wanted to say thanks so much for your advice. I decided in the end to read a story in French - "Le petit poisson blanc" and then did some quick games where the chn had to repeat colour names and show me colour cards. Lesson went really well :eek:) Unfortunately, I didn't get the job, but that's life I guess. The fact that I was interviewed against 3 native French speakers with lots of experience softened the blow somewhat.
    Thanks again.

5. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job. At least the lesson went well. Did you get feedback? Was it useful?