1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas and suggestions for returning to work

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by Corvuscorax, May 17, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Some things need to be put in place before hand, and might take time, so lets have a thread of suggestions.

Firstly, all non automatic doors need to be propped open all the time, so that there is no need for any student to touch any door handle.

So that means automatic door stops that close in a fire alarm need to be installed in all corridors and classrooms in the whole UK

disinfectant troughs to stand in at the entrance to the school. All schools need to be sourcing such troughs

Non-contact temperature check at the entrance, again, schools need to be sourcing these thermometers

Catgirl1964 and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I don't think they've done much of this in Denmark, and the Danish reports are saying that schools have not been spreading infection.

3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

It's great when the Govt tell us it's unhelpful and pointless to compare UK to other countries yet keep citing other countries when explaining how we should return.
    • Ensure the school rules reflect the new threats to person caused by spitting/coughing.
    • Toilets will need controlling -you can't let kids just " go"
    • PE changing rooms ?
    • Fire Drills will need re-examining and commonsense applied.
    • Medical room fully equipped to deal with emergencies and PPE issued to staff attending medical issues such as accidents etc.
    • Canteen and food areas either closed indefinitely and packed lunches provided for all FSMs or new eating arrangements entirely.
    • Peripatetic staff to be issued with wipes and kit to sanitise keyboards etc when arriving in classroom.
    Feel free to add...

4. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

Supervised, frequent, timetabled hand washing.

5. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

Do maintenance/ cleaning staff need additional training?

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

lizziescat and install like this.
  7. Corvuscorax

but the German R number went up above 1 when they started to reopen schools, in spite of their extreme caution, 8 students to a room, disinfectant foot baths to dip shoes in, 2m distance maintained at all times, etc.

But that doesn't mean our R number will rise, or that it won't. They don't even have the same strain of the virus in Denmark and Germany- comparisons don't mean much

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

In all the new cloakrooms they'll be fitting, no doubt...no school I've ever worked in has had enough toilets/sinks to allow handwashing sessions...
    I'm told that behaviour in some countries is generally far better, so discussing the fact that their children haven't been spreading the virus doesn't necessarily mean ours won't-I know so many people who've worked abroad, and say that behaviour is far worse here.

Lidnod and Catgirl1964 like this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

lizziescat and install like this.
  10. kissinbec

kissinbec New commenter

I would have liked to have seen a more policy-driven return to school from Gove. I predict more division between schools, parents, teachers' unions and the Government. Why such madness? It looks as if health and safety might flatten teaching and learning (hand washing, social distancing, covid-19 awareness etc) which is going to disappoint children. It would have been nice to have seen some recommendations from Gove. Eg: Later start to the day until September; appropriate outdoor education until breaktime, booster lessons after school, cycling proficiency tests to encourage cycle to school.
    Also, pregnant and senior teachers should have been given more attention.

install likes this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

Agree. Good point.

12. Corvuscorax

on the contrary, their r value doubled when schools reopened. But it started at 0.4, whereas we will be starting at 0.7-1 already, before we go.

13. install

install Star commenter

Agree.