1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideal End of Term Tests

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by kayl_higg, May 22, 2019.

1. kayl_higg

kayl_higg New commenter

Hi All,
    I teach Maths in secondary school and, throughout my career, I've accepted that my class, whatever set/year group will probably score an average of around 50% on their end of term tests. In fact, if more than one or two students scored higher than 80% I'd have concerns the test was too easy.
    These tests assess their learning on topics recently (this year) studied so it's now occurred to me that surely the tests are far too hard (or I, and every other teacher in my dept are terrible at Maths!). Shouldn't the average score be more like 70 or 80%?
    Is it higher in your school?
    Thanks for any information you can give!

2. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I'm not maths (science) but I would expect there to be an age/maturity related contribution to test or exam performance. I would not expect a Y9 to do as well as a Y11 on identical questions, even if the Y9 had studied the topic more recently.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

What do you do with the test results ?

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Are they losing marks because they are unable to apply their knowledge to more challenging questions, or have they forgotten what they've learned and therefore lost marks on straightforward questions?

If the former, maybe there need to be more straightforward questions, so that they can demonstrate what they do know. I know there's more emphasis on application and reasoning nowadays, but I still think that for internal tests, it's probably most useful to concentrate on the straightforward "can they find the third side in a right-angled triangle?" Obviously you keep covering the application and reasoning in lessons, in preparation for GCSE.

If the latter, that suggests that there is need for more consolidation and revision so that they retain things better.