1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Idea needed for interview lesson

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by mrkgib, Feb 7, 2012.

1. I have a lesson on leadership styles planned for an interview;

At one point I'm going to put them into teams of 4-5 to carry out an activity for 10-15 mins, led by one member of their team.

Problem is, I can't think of an innovative or interesting activity for them to carry out! Can anyone please help me? It's A2 Business.

2. I have a lesson on leadership styles planned for an interview;

At one point I'm going to put them into teams of 4-5 to carry out an activity for 10-15 mins, led by one member of their team.

Problem is, I can't think of an innovative or interesting activity for them to carry out! Can anyone please help me? It's A2 Business.

3. glynmanton

glynmanton New commenter

Create some character cards for group members of how they should react to different situations (use belvin team roles if you want)

Make characters the same for each group.

Give each group leader a leadership style and a task for the group - A team building exercise.

Your role is then to facilitate and ensure people are playing their roles- Try to create disagreements with leader

Evaluation get groups to evaluate their role v leadership style

Then students can evaluate which role was the best.

good luck

4. Hiyah
    Get lots of newspaper and tape. They have to build the tallest structure they can. They get 5 mins to do this. Each team has a leader in a different style who have been given a character card with instructions on it. Authoritarian lots of shouting, telling kids they are lazy useless, demanding who should do what, bossing everyone around. Democratic leader will hand a sheet of instructions out to everyone and ask for a meeting about each point on the instructions. They should also take lots of votes. Laissez faire just lets the kids get on with it, hardly bothering to help, paying little attention to the task but mostly allowing the group to be self managing.
    What you should find happen (and happened when I did this) is that the authoritarian group build a massive structure really quickly. the democratic group get tied up in meetings of how it should work and the laissez faire don't achieve much at all.
    They should also have people walking round with clipboards making notes (refer back to works of Mayo for motivation). These people should lead the discussion at the end because they have watched all the groups and are in the best position to comment. To add a twist write this prediction in an envelope and wave it about at the start and give it to someone for safe keeping. You can produce it at the end to great effect.
    Worked for me. Hope this helps
    Regards
    Sarah Hilton
    www.revisionstation.co.uk

5. Took alot from this, thanks. Will post back post-interview with the result.