1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Idea for Whole School History Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jlstone, Sep 15, 2018.

1. jlstone

jlstone New commenter

i want to organise a whole school History day at my school this year. Our days have been where the staff and children all dress up and the children travel around the school in mixed aged groups to different teachers. We have covered significant people with each teacher choosing a different person and then teaching about them through a creative activity and then last year each year group covered a different decade.

Does anyone have any ideas for this year’s theme or would be willing to share what they have done in their own school? Thank you

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you've covered 'famous people' & different decades and wanted something different you could choose important historical events. So Magna Carta (prob. better in KS2), Fire of London, Plague, Battle of Hastings, Wars of Roses/ Civil War & Cromwell as these are generally no longer covered in primary and would mean at least they are aware of some major historical events since 1066.

Or you could cover an overview of each of the Monarch families, Pre -unification Kings eg Canute and Edward the Confessor, Plantagenets , Tudors, Stuarts, Georgian/ Hanoverians & Windsors.

jlstone likes this.
  3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

or what have you got that is important locally, or a significant anniversary this year?
    saw the fire of london done brilliantly with year 3, they all made a house, the fire brigade turned up and they burnt them all down in the playground! Fantastic, except they didn't warn the rest of us so having that going on outside my window/playground door while trying to run a test was quite exciting. I just let them watch in the end!

jlstone and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. jlstone

jlstone New commenter

Thank you Lara mfl and hammie for your helpful replies and ideas! Really appreciated

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

second world war?

second world war diet

air raid

carrying gas masks

second world war music and dancing

role play evacuees

something of the countries involved?

some of the famous politicians?

listening to second world war news broadcasts?

Maybe invite some veterans in?

maybe ending with an assembly to lay poppies?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

100 years of Women's Suffrage?
    100 years since the end of WW1?

Bumptious and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if you do second world war or other "recent" history. Check if you have a vintage bus society locally. I got them in on our evacuation day. They ferried our children around the city in two second world war buses to our D Day museum and back. It really made the day very very special. As a charity they are not allowed to charge either.
    We turned a few heads driving through the city signing World War 2 songs at the top of our collective voices in evacuee get up in local liveried vintage buses!

8. 10000YearsBC

10000YearsBC Occasional commenter

Anything but Stone Age. Please don't ask children to dress up as 'Stone Age' people for the day, because all you end up with is a school full of little cartoon Flintstones waving bulbous papier mache clubs at each other. There'll be more faux leopard skin than you'd see on a Saturday night in Romford, and this has nothing to do with the actual Stone Age. Any other period will be a far more historically valid dressing up exercise.

I like the suggestions involving WW2 evacuees - the whole refugee issue is very current.

Lara mfl 05 and Bumptious like this.