1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Idea for cliffhanger activity

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Frances1985, Feb 25, 2008.

1. I'm starting my PGCE in September this year and currently volunteer once a week in a local primary school. I am currently working with Primary 4 (year 3). Next week is book week and the teacher asked if I would like to read a story to the children that has a cliff hanger in it, then do an activity relating to this afterwards. As I have not had any teacher training the teacher says I am under no pressure etc, but I want to make the lesson fun! I have to start off by reading the story (or part of it at least up to a cliff hanger) and then have an activity afterwards. There are 32 kids in the class and a massive difference in ability so I don't want to make the activity individually writing based. I have an hour in which to get all this done. Was thinking of starting off askign chn what a cliffhanger is just to make sure they understand what we will be doing. Will then read story and get them to identify cliffhanger. As for activity, i'm a bit stuck as I want all the chn to enjoy it, but I don't want the SEN kids to feel lost. Was thinking maybe doing a group based activity, maybe with some drama, but i'm not 100% sure! Also, any ideas of an appropriate book for 8 year olds? Thanks so much.

2. I'm starting my PGCE in September this year and currently volunteer once a week in a local primary school. I am currently working with Primary 4 (year 3). Next week is book week and the teacher asked if I would like to read a story to the children that has a cliff hanger in it, then do an activity relating to this afterwards. As I have not had any teacher training the teacher says I am under no pressure etc, but I want to make the lesson fun! I have to start off by reading the story (or part of it at least up to a cliff hanger) and then have an activity afterwards. There are 32 kids in the class and a massive difference in ability so I don't want to make the activity individually writing based. I have an hour in which to get all this done. Was thinking of starting off askign chn what a cliffhanger is just to make sure they understand what we will be doing. Will then read story and get them to identify cliffhanger. As for activity, i'm a bit stuck as I want all the chn to enjoy it, but I don't want the SEN kids to feel lost. Was thinking maybe doing a group based activity, maybe with some drama, but i'm not 100% sure! Also, any ideas of an appropriate book for 8 year olds? Thanks so much.

3. I teach year 3, and today I read the kids the start of a story by Dick King Smith, up until the main character (a farmer) looked in a hutch to see what was inside at a village fair... I got the kids to act out in small groups what they thought was in the hutch. One perosn was the farmer, the others were the stall owners, some played what was in the pen etc... it took them 5 mins to practice, and 20 mins or so to watch them all perform! Cliffhangers can be anything, dont worry too much.

4. Hello
    Just have a question because I`ve noticed that you
    did a unit on Cliffhanger. I have just done my planning for next term,
    but need couple more ideas[​IMG]
    Any chance that you can send me the planning, or notes on my email. I`ll very appreciate it.
    Thanks a lot in advance
    My email - jakub.bocian1982@wp.pl
    Jacob

5. Hi

Try teacheractivities.co.uk - it has a compendium of over 200 lesson activities that can be tweaked for any lesson. Hope this helps.