1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IDavid Raynor/Elmwood Press?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by TheHF5, Jan 21, 2012.

1. If you like/use the Elmwood Press y 7-9 books, what do you use for gcse - David Rayner's gcse book or Elmwood Press's gcse book? Why?

2. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Elmwood Press's GCSE book.
    They're cheaper than nearly everything else, don't mess about with pointless explanations, and have lots of useful exercises, carefully graded for students to work through. Whilst not Rayner, I think they continue the spirit of the KS3 books rather nicely.
    Never considered Rayner's latest GCSE books. I still keep lots of sets of his older book - General maths, revision and practice - and pull them out every now and then. Some smashing questions in these, including one in particular in the standard form exercise about googols and googolplex's.... which always comes out when I teach top sets standard form.

3. Whilst reading TES, I've never seen anything other than Elmwood recommended at an Key Stage. In my area, no school is using Elmwood, maybe it's a regional thing?

4. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

No. I doubt whether it is even a TES thing - just the random collection of numpties, like me, who use their free time to respond to posts on textbooks. If someone asks for a recommendation, I'll offer my experiences.
    At the risk of upsetting Mike Ollerton officionados, I think textbooks are a good thing if used sensibly. I'm always alarmed by the number of departments which still base their SOW on a textbook and I positively loathe textbook schemes which claim to offer the complete package, schemes of work, AFL, APP and all. To me, a good textbook offers a useful resource for classroom teaching, but is one of a number of resources which might be used. Elmwood Press fit that bill perfectly, for me..