1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'd love to be the first poster to start a thread with a billion hits

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by sparklepig2002, Oct 29, 2011.

1. We went to Salut once... had no choice as all the accomodation and trains were booked to the really interesting places. it was awful. Managed to get to some interesting little towns like Cuenca though! Hope you're having a wonderful time!

2. No... just checked the weather chart. 5 % chance of rain all of this week, 40% chance at the weekend... of getting less that 1%. Getting pretty dire!

3. And it's been very smoky today, which is always a bit of a concern. They're burning off the sugar plantations here, and other people are just back burning to save their properties later... but you never know if it's a bush fire.. or if it's going to start one somewhere. We're in a bit of a death trap here!

4. gargs

gargs Star commenter

is that unusual for this time of year annie?
    edit: the lack of rain, not the burning

5. Yes, it's the driest August since he records began for this area in the 1900's! Locals are talking about El Nino, and predicting a long drought now.

6. We're considered to be a high risk area for bushfires too... last one was 5-6 years ago, I was told..

7. gargs

gargs Star commenter

yikes! is there anything you are advised to do to protect the house, should it be needed?

8. We've got a whole booklet from the Rural Fire Service. If it's a Catastrophic you get out. If it's just 'severe' or something, you can hose you house down and try and fight it.. but they warn that it will be dark, smoky and terrifying. Some people stay and try and fight.. but you can die from the smoke inhalation... I've suggested (seriously) to OH that we get a couple of oxygen tanks. I've known people who've built underground bunkers. Haven't been in this situation before, where it's a very real threat.

9. I phoned the RFS a couple of weeks ago, as I could see smoke... but it was just someone burning off.

10. gargs

gargs Star commenter

that all sounds very alarming!

11. It is.. .I'm ducking outside every five minutes, just checking... it's VERY smoky now... but it's probably just the cane fields burning. I've checked the RFS website, and there's no evidence of any bush fires near us. Bit freaky though!

12. And I worry about the cows... it's not like I can stick a leash round their necks, and walk them down the road!

13. gargs

gargs Star commenter

i suppose, if it came down to it, you could just let them go and hope they found their way to safety.
    are they tagged?

14. Right. Have just checked website (again) They're doing a controlled burning, about 30k's south of here. What they call "Hazard Reduction" Will stop panicking!

15. Yes... but we're in a valley surrounded by trees and State Forest here... there's nowhere for them to really go, and I think the smoke would get them. Macadamia Trees are full of oil, and would burn like crazy. Anyway.. .no immediate risk now.

16. gargs

gargs Star commenter

easier said than done!

17. I nearly phoned the RFS another day a couple of months ago, as I could clearly see smoke coming off the ridge.. and I knew that it was State Forest, and not a farm land, burning off. Looked again through the binoculars, and it was steam rising from the ground. It had been raining, and then the sun came out... felt a bit stupit!

18. gargs

gargs Star commenter

i'm going to have to go
    i have to take all the uniform back to the shop and exchange it for a bigger size (even though it actually fits perfectly - apparently it needs to be too big!)

19. I know... I just got a fright, as I looked through the window, and thought I could see flames... it was the reflection of our (safely contained) wood fire in the glass! [​IMG]

20. Lol! At least that means you could get another year out of it! Good luck! [​IMG]