1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'd like to start a space after school club...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EBC, Aug 5, 2019.

1. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Hi all,

I'd like to start an after school club, and I'm thinking Space/astronomy club. It would be KS1. I'm new to this subject area but taught a bit on Neil Armstrong, and they enjoyed it so much, I thought a Space Club might be fun.
    I've found a book with science-type activities but I'm not sure they'd last the whole hour for a club, and am looking for any advice you might have.
    My initial thought was one week talk about the planets, make a craft. Then another week Astronauts and complete a fact file or craft.

I don't want it to be like a lesson, just something fun and (hopefully) not needing lots of extra resources and teaching.

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

EBC likes this.
  3. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Thank you for my first reply.

4. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Just wait. If starmandave sees this tomorrow.......

5. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

I noticed

6. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Invite a Night brings the sky to life, with a visit from a blackout master (Windows, Doors or Holes) to your school. A fully armed astronomer always grabs attention with rapid thrusts of a telescope.
    Our intrepid spacer also has a portal for time travel which can also be used to avoid a Q&A session as part of the to be determined indeterminate/fully flexible session. A day will feel like a very long night as our cosmically challenged chancer can talk mind numbingly on and on to a single class, year group or an entire school into a black hole of depression.

PS - inset days are a speciality - learn how to convince OFSTED that your school is on a journey to the stars!

7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

A scale model of the solar system and trying to give some idea of relative distances would be a good place to start. On a scale where the distance from Sun to Earth is 1 metre, Neptune would be 30 metres from the Sun. The nearest star Proxima Centauri would be 270 km away.

EBC likes this.
  8. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

You could go outside and get the children to take up positions representing the relative distances to the planets. If you were the Sun, the nearest child (Mercury) would be one pace away, Earth would be 3 paces and Neptune 90 paces. (Obviously depends on how much outside space you have.)

EBC likes this.
  9. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Actually it would probably be better to start with the moon as our nearest neighbour. You could look at why we can see the moon, why it appears almost the same size as the Sun, why do we always see the same face of the moon, why does it have phases, what causes solar and lunar eclipses. You could also look at why a hammer and a feather fall at the same speed on the moon but different speeds on Earth, what effects does the moon have on the Earth (the tides) and of course the Apollo space programme.

Good luck.

EBC likes this.
  10. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Thank you. I guess my next step would be to write up a plan for what to do ea h week. It all sounds quite scientific and I'm worried it'll go over their heads... Do you know of anywhere I can find lessons plans or resources suited to ks1?

11. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

EBC likes this.
  12. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Brilliant Gainly, thank you. A good place to start.