1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Vs Computing

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Mr_G_ICT, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I'm making a display to show the comaprison. i'm looking at breaking it up into a number of areas as well as finding a numbr of soundbites that i can use to display the clear differences as it is a topic that I get asked a lot(plus i want to push GCSE computing and A level!)

So, my current areas are:
    What do I learn?
    Jobs
    University Courses

I seem to be ok at making the computing stuff sound exciting, but what do i put in the ICT section (the same as you have been doing for the last 5 years only in more detail?)

If not, can you give me some ICT/Computing soundbites. At the moment i have "Computing: you don't jsut learn to use the computers, you learn to create them", "Computing: Learn ICT from the bottom up!", But i'm not doing great so any help would be appreciated.

Otherwise i may change tack and make a big display on why choose computing,

Anything i make, i'll share on here as well (of course!)

2. How about linking your quotes to famous quotes/taglines from movies. How about:
    "Computing GCSE.... no one from OCR can hear you scream"
    "I'll be back. I'll be back. I'll be back. I'll be back. Learn Iteration in programming with computing GCSE"
    "My Mama always said, 'ICT was like a box of chocolates; you never know how valuable the qualification actually is."
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" (Coursework quality control assistant -OCR Computing GCSE)

"You talkin' to me punk?" Not any more... ICT gives you the confidence to act responsibily in social networking.
    "You'll laugh. You'll
    cry. You'll hurl." Programming is fantastic challenge on our Computing course.

Ok, ok... poor stuff. I'm sure some of you can do better than this!

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

There's always an adaption of Jack Nicholson in a Few Good men aimed at average to lower ability kids thinking about computing
    "The course? You can't handle the course"

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

And for those about to sit the vagueries of the current WJEC IT1 exam paper
    "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

5. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

remember, we want to encourage them to take the course, I think "you'll hurl" may be a sticking point here.

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Three little words:
    Angelina Jolie Hackers.

7. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Although I like the quotes given we use slightly different ones to sell the subject, or as introductions to discussion in lessons:
    "Computing is too important to be left to men" Karen Spark-Jones
    “A thunderstorm is God's way of saying you spend too much time in front of the computer”
    “Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers.” Leonard Brandwein
    “A computer terminal is not some clunky old television with a typewriter in front of it. It is an interface where the mind and body can connect with the universe and move bits of it about.” Douglas Adams
    "No matter how fast your computer system runs, you will eventually come to think of it as slow.”
    “For a long time it puzzled me how something so expensive, so leading edge, could be so useless, and then it occurred to me that a computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are, in short, a perfect match.” Bill Bryson
    "Human happiness and human satisfaction must ultimately come from within oneself. It is wrong to expect some final satisfaction to come from money or from a computer.” Dalai Lama
    “Experts agree that the best type of computer for your individual needs is one that comes on the market about two days after you actually purchase some other computer.” Dave Barry
    “The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents.” Nathaniel Borenstein
    “Advances in computer technology and the Internet have changed the way America works, learns, and communicates. The Internet has become an integral part of America's economic, political, and social life.” Bill Clinton
    “There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.” Ken Olsen - Founder of DEC
    You might not want to use this one....
    “What do people mean when they say the computer went down on them?” Marilyn Pittman

8. Do you want to be an app consumer... or an app creator? (easily changeable to website, software, information, etc...)

9. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I guess it is just my way, but i find it easier to sell computing than sell ICT

10. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Good, so you should [​IMG]
    I've just tried to upload to the resource bank a Moodle course that we use as an intro to Computing but it tries to explain the differences. **&^"%&£ TES doesn't accept ZIP files.
    I will put a link in there shortly.

11. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Link to Moodle Course Backup. Clicking this will download a ZIP file that you can install in your own Moodle should you feel it worth doing.
    Hope it useful to someone.

12. The Matrix comes to mind and the effective 0's and 1's green against black background (very geeky and computing like)

against which you could place this section of Red Pill/Blue Pill statements from the movie:

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Computing is. You have to see it for yourself..."

"(This is your last chance - after this there is no going back)".

"You take the blue pill ? the story ends, you wake up some day in ICT (class) and believe, whatever you want to believe".

"You take the red pill ? you stay in Wonderland... and I show you how deep Computing really goes." -Morpheus

13. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I think next year around A level/GCSE option time, I will have soo many posters that i can use to sell computing. I'll see what i can knock up that is copyright free.

Love the Matrix thing, ohh and Angelina Jolie....but who doesn't! ;o) (I do tell some of my students to go watch this film!, and I own the books they mention in that movie!)

14. Dave: You can rename *.zip as *.renameas.zip.doc - a bit of a kludge, but a workaround I've used more than once...

15. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

@HH KLUDGE!!! I do have standards....

Not very high ones, but they're there [​IMG]

16. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

After a bit of work, i made a resource for computing using the matrix idea, which everyone in the department thought it was the saddest, probably most brilliant idea they've seen in ages!

Just look at my resources if you want a copy. all copyright free.

17. Wow! That is both brilliantly sad and brilliantly... brilliant! I'm sticking that up on my wall just as soon as I can get an A1 version laminated!

18. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Inspired by the Matrix Computing poster I have created a Matrix
    Computing Reloaded poster with a few design changes.

My main concerns are:

The inclusion of a faux age certification of 14+ which is not a trademark but
    similar to the one, we can edit or remove if this is considered infringing in
    any way.

If the signal from a 15 rated film from 1999 is relevant to my current year
    8's, who would be the first potential customers in our school. Especially as we
    want to use persuasion relevant to girls for this age, I'm worried that it may
    miss the mark.
    That the whole fireworks png design will need rethinking for print quality.

That my reloaded follows the pattern of the films :)

Have a look here, feel free to let me know what you think or make a
    revolutions (lets hope that really doesn’t follow the films trajectory)

https://www.tes.co.uk/Download.aspx?storycode=6092303&type=X&id=6166912

19. I can't believe I actually managed to suggest something useful and at the same time achieve a consensus on something here on the forums, a first for me!

...aside from that though, the posters are b****y brilliant, well done, just as I had pictured them in my head!

I really hope they work now and attract the students interest to the subject!

20. Just a couple of minor things...

Spelling of "Placebo" wrong. Some kid is bound to point this out at some time

"You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in class and believe..."

The 14+ is clear enough, instantly recognizable as well, though maybe just a little too large and overbearing? On first casual glance your eye is attracted straight to the certificate (probably because its an age limited thing), don't know if thats a good or bad thing in that respect (that eye is attracted straight to it)?