1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT users in public exams

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Shootsville69, May 23, 2019.

1. Shootsville69

Shootsville69 New commenter

Hi,
    I work in a centre where ICT users sit public exams in one of our ICT rooms, with desktops. In order to comply with relevant regulations, the IT people get users to type using 'wordpad' rather than microsoft word, arguing that this allows them to disable spellcheck etc as required. This can cause problems for our pupils, who would never use wordpad in any other setting - I am wondering if this is how other centres set up ICT use for those with this access arrangement?

Any feedback welcome!

2. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

This is common practice and to be honest is fair.

If you are worried that students have not seen WordPad before then why not introduce them to it earlier?

3. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

It is very easy to disable spellcheck and grammar check in Microsoft Word. If your 'IT People' are disputing this, then I would suggest they are not 'IT People' at all, they are more 'No People' who just like being difficult for no explainable reason.