1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Unit 3, June 2010 exam

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by maloa001, Apr 11, 2010.

1. cookie9

cookie9 New commenter

sources: book has scenario which has:
    1 - calling AA employee for distance/journey times
    2 - using Atlas
    3 - using internet site

2. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Sources -
    1. I would suggest that the use of an AutoRoute program may be better in an ICT exam than a phone call to a call centre
    2. Agreed with using a map, measuring distance and dividing by average speed of buses
    3. Google maps or AA auto route good ones to talk about
    Also,
    4. Knowledge of bus drivers - they could have driven to the towns or close by the towns and may well know how long it takes to get there.

3. Way Way too complex. Having read all the notes it's seem an obsession with ICT teachers to make the exam as complex as possible. Having developed models in the commercial sector the key is Keep it simple!

There is no need to use goal seek. Just write the number of kids to pick up on the map (why would edexcel give us the map?)

Use that as a guide for the pick ups.

To add 5 minutes on the timetable sheet just use the Adding time formula Example: =D4+TIME(0,05,0)
    If the syntax is wrong sorry doing it from memory.

I think there will be a little conditional formating and then set printer areas.

It's about solving a problem by using a model not fancy formulas

4. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Yeah, totally agree on the writing on the map, have said that to my kids as the easiest way to work out routes.
    However disagree with the rest. Goal seek is not too complicated a tool, in fact it's given as one of the learning topics in the Yr 8 curriculum so is easily within the grasp of 6th formers.
    Also the problem with the formula you quoted is that it does not deal with a situation where you have a 'No Stop' on the route. In such a situation you need to use the departure time of the first occurance of the stop. By using the D4+Time(00:05:00) formula you will always add on 5 minutes for every instance of a No Stop, so you could be waiting 20 minutes at a stop instead of just 5. IF functions are not difficult (Yr 8 curriculum again), if something happens, you do one thing, else you do another. Look back at some of the posts that me and my colleagues have issued for some really useful ideas as far as this goes.
    As we tell them in Yr 8, the model needs the formulae so you can 'model' different scenarios by changing elements. Doesn't matter if there simple or complex, the only thing that matters is they are right (or at least as right as Edexcel thinks they are, but THAT'S another story..)!

5. @ colwynexile
    Hi have you mocked up a set of numbers for C3:D16 on the teams worksheet
    Presumeably this info will be as part of the exam paper, I a have tried some random combinations but have problems then keeping the total bus number below 15

am willing to trade solutiuons and I have a mock exam which might be useful

amcgrory at bucksgfl dot org dot uk

6. Hi I'm currently a trainee going through some of these papers, and was wondering would anyone have a completed version of the spreadsheet for June 2010 tht I could have a look at please.
    Would appreciate help

Thanks