1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT subject leadership - advice!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Clare Bear, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Hi, this is my first ever subject leadership and I just need help getting started. I only work 2 days a week at my school and ICT is really not my strongest subject. Where do I start? Do I need to start up an ICT file? How do I know what to do and when to do it????
    Help!!!!!

2. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I am surprised that you've been given ICT since you only work 2 days a week!
    I'm full time and find it hard to manage as there are things to do every day of the week (sorting out teacher's computers, printers, whiteboards etc.)
    Was there a previous ICT coordinator? If so they should really have a file already set up that you could inherit.

3. Thanks! I know, I did mention that ICT as a subject is way to large for me to handle on a 2 day basis. Luckily I won't have to deal with the technical upkeep aspect of the subject but just focus on the curriculum side of it. I guess the file will need updating? I've expressed my concerns as I view ICT as a core subject!!!! I'm hoping they will allow me to share this subject with someone else on the team. I will re-discuss this with them tomorrow. I was only given ICT as it was the only subject available!

4. I am not convinced that this is the case for any ICT subject leader.
    Good luck though. See if you LA offers training for ICT subject leaders.

5. believe me, i have been told and ensured that they have 2 people that will cover that aspect. just as well, i know nothing about computers! what am i doing? I'm going to try and talk them out of it tomorrow!!!!! i have asked for training. I need this before i can even start thinking about doing the job!!! initially though, aside from actually digging up the ict file from previous leader, what will i have to do? i'm clueless!!!

6. I found this useful when I started:

http://www.kenttrustweb.org.uk/kentict/kentict_coordinators_home.cfm

Take one aspect at a time. Monitor how ICt is done now. Ideally it should be x curricular and there should be progression of skills through the school.

I did a questionnaire when I started of staff confidence. Kent also does some good assessment stuff that can give you a handle on where there are weaknesses in your school.

http://www.kenttrustweb.org.uk/kentict/kentict_assess_index.cfm

If you don't have an ICT scheme in place the Greenwich one is a little old but gives you a start and some resources:

http://www.lgfl.net/lgfl/leas/greenwich/accounts/subjects/ictteam/web/resources/primary/QCA%20scheme%20of%20work/menu/

Ideally you should be doing a more cross curricular approach, using ICT themes of:
    Research and e awareness
    Communication
    Control
    Handling data
    Modelling and simulation.

Don't plan it yourself. Give the objectives to your teachers and let them plan it themselves.

People you could contact for advice are:

1. Your advisory team should run courses for new co-ordinators and should be available to come in.
    2. There should be an ICT hands on support team in your county (although I haven't been on one for a year or two so not sure if they are still going in wake of the cuts).
    3. http://www.ictcoordinator.co.uk/
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/17759
    http://www.lgfl.net/lgfl/leas/greenwich/accounts/subjects/ictteam/web/resources/primary/ICT%20Co%20File/cover/

I hope some of this is of some use.

7. Haha, I think that is the biggest lie told to most ICT subject leaders.

8. Agreed.
    Give it 3 days and someone will be in asking you to help them make their smartboard interactive/ change the toner in the printer/ Reset VLE password... usually when you are in the middle of teaching!
    Makes me mad!
    I don't send a child down to the Literacy Coordinator asking them to help me open a dictionary if I need to spell a word!

9. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

I am luck then as I do not get hassled for technical things including printers and if I do then I just say technician is not here until tomorrow - see him then!! I do however have to do VLE passwords but they have to come to me at a given time at lunch time or at the end of the day.

10. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Drop me a line beckton.boy@hotmail.co.uk and I'll send you a copy of my new ICT coordinator's toolkit, which includes a 2 page document with advice on getting going as a new coordinator (among about 70 files).

11. The 1st thing you do is make it very clear that sorting out teacher's computers, printers, whiteboards etc. are technical and administrative tasks and NOT your job. See STPCD.

12. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I am ICT Subject Leader and wouldn't dream of getting involved in replacing printer ink, etc. That's why we have technicians on the staff. If you are ending up doing it as a ICT Curriculum Subject Leader, then what are you paying your technicians for?!?!

13. Getting a techie to change the printer ink!?
    Our KS2 pupils all know how to do that!

14. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I take it we have VERY different printers to you then! We wouldn't dare let the children near the mammoth things we have.

15. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I know that as ICT coordinator that I shouldn't be doing all the technical things but we only have a technician in school one morning a week so any other time I am the person people call.
    Was very annoyed last week when another teacher walked in to my classroom while I was teaching, called me by my first name and said she needed me to come and look at her laptop! (I didn't go, I told her I would come at lunchtime!)

16. We ring for a technician as and when we need them, and it costs us - so I try to sort out any little things myself. Not least because its my job to ring the technical helpline and I can usually sort it in the time that takes...still annoying though.

17. I have also just taken on ICT this year and often get hassled about technical problems including interactive whiteboards that aren't being interactive, projectors that won't come on, programs that have completely disappeared and no sound!
    Unfortunately, our technician is only in for 3 hours a week so I feel have to sort out problems if I can but I'm not an expert either.

18. Hi i was wondering if you still had these files? Id be very interested in having a look. Thanks.