1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT subject leader and TLR?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NEvans3103, Feb 24, 2012.

1. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on whether I could/should be receiving a TLR payment for my role as ICT subject leader. I work in a primary school and I know that the previous ICT leader received a TLR2 for this role. I also know of other teachers in different schools who get this additional pay. I was given the role at the beginning of this year but it hasn't been addressed with me.
    Are there any specific reasons why the school shouldn't offer me TLR for the role or are there additional requirements I would have to meet in order to be eligible?
    I'm not the type of person to ask my school for more money, but I would feel pretty hard-done-by if I was entitled to TLR but was too afraid to ask!
    Thanks

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

You're not entitled to TLR as a subject leader. Individual schools decide what they award TLRs for. At my school, nobody gets a TLR for subject responsibility. I'm English co-ordinator and have never had extra pay - I'm lucky if I ever get extra non-contact time, let alone money.

3. I wouldn't expect so, but the interesting thing is that you said the previous ICT coord did get one. Did they have any responsibilities beyond what you have been asked to do? Did they coordinate anything else, or were they on SLT?
    It seems odd that they had one and you haven't. That said, it would probably have been best to bring it up when you were first asked to take on the role.
    If you feel uncomfortable going to the head, I would perhaps mention it to a member of SLT you feel comfortable with and ask if they could bring it up at the next SLT meeting to get an answer. You could approach it along the lines of "Im not trying to get anything im not entitled to, but I realised the other day that so-and-so used to recieve a TLR for ICT so just wanted to ensure I wasn't meant to be recieving one."
    Its tricky because you dont want to sound greedy....but at the same time, the money would be lovely especially if you're entitled to it and noone has thought about it!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You wouldn't get one in my school, nor did the ICT co-ord in my previous two schools.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I was ICT coordinator for 10 years without a TLR (I've never met anyone who did in primary<strike>)
    </strike>

6. Does anyone get any dedicated time to manage ICT?

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I used to get 5 minutes before Collective Worship, would that count?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No-one in our schools gets dedicated time to manage any curriculum area, not even maths or literacy. Though both those are attached to TLRs.

9. I get half a day each half term.

10. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I'm really lucky - I get a TLR to manage ICT and time each week to manage the subject. I didn't get either at my last school so find that I can do so much in this time!

11. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I get a TLR for ICT but the post didn't come with one. I went to the head and explained the time committments that are involved with ICT and managing 80+ PC's etc against something like History or Geography. I had to dig my heels in but I was given a TLR in the end.

12. I am thinking of applying for a job that comes with TLR 2 for managing ICT and digital literacy. What does your job involve as a ICT co-ordinator? I feel like it could be a full time job in itself but fancy the challenge.

13. Yes you are very lucky. I get a TLR for ICT, but come Sept will lose it as school can no longer fund it, was also told shouldn't have one for this as not a member of the SLT team. I don't get anytime to manage it, I've had to do it all in my own time, and mark, plan lessons, manage a high SEN class, sort students..........
    Plus I have had to sort a new learning platform, website, support members of staff, lead staff meetings in new intiatives for ICT.
    So, in response to previous question about getting a TLR for ICT, no you are not entitled to it anymore, only do it if you have loads of time, are really keen on the subject and ask for managment time if you have loads to do.
    Good Luck :)

14. School Boy Error

We're just come away from our LEA for broadband and I've saved us over &pound;4000 a year, it more than pays for my &pound;2500 TLR ;)

15. Hi there, hope you don't mind me asking how you did this? I manage ICT with a colleague and as with any school, we're desperate for resources. Would love to save money like you, if we could!

16. School Boy Error

We now have our line through Virgin and we use Smoothwall for web monitoring / filtering. The combined cost is a little over &pound;3000 and the county wanted &pound;7000 this year for broadband + &pound;400 for monitoring software.

17. School Boy Error

..and the biggest thing is we have control over our own blocked pages! No more phone calls to the "help" desk saying can you unblock this and them saying no.

18. Do you sleep? That's an enormous amount of responsibility. Hats off to you if you manage to have a life too. I have just got ICT Leader, Ed visits and one other to be decided.

19. SmileAndNod

SmileAndNod New commenter

I'm also really lucky and get a TLR and coordinator time.

Toffee81 - it is a really challenging position! Not only do you have curriculum responsibility but you also get harassed a lot for technical issues. My time is split between planning lessons for the entire school (and now replanning in line with new curriculum) and fixing IWBs! I am also responsible for any hardware in school such as purchasing, maintaining and giving out things like the digital cameras. Colleagues also believe (falsely in my case!) that you must be a computer whizz and so you get called upon for mad things like how to add a border to a document etc! My role also encompasses over-seeing the VLE and school website.

As much as I've now complained-I do really enjoy the position though not sure I would do it if I wasn't getting paid for it!

20. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

All a small school means is that you have less books to mark but you have to co- ordinate more subjects, attend more sporting/other inter school events, planning is the same and even less chance of any additional payment like TLRs.