1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Statutory @ KS3?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ICTWarrior, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I know that ICT will no longer be a statutory subject at KS4. However will it remain a statutory subject at KS3?
    Cheers

2. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

it never was ..... ICT has always been a foundation subject in the NC. As to whether or not it is compulsory or very important is another issue.

3. http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/b0073043/remit-for-review-of-the-national-curriculum-in-england/remit-for-the-review
    Warm up by reading 8,9,10 on the previous page, then whammy of paragraph 13, then 16. Only a few months to go... so get planning your strategy to win in the Tory Eductional Game!!.
    If you want to have a bit of fun with the guessing, why don't you organise a "Dropped from the National Curriculum" at your school:
    Those that draw out an english-bacc subject - guaranteed to lose their money,
    Citizenship, ICT and Music - split the winnings three ways?

4. I know from the LEA meeting I went to last week that the talk about reducing the profile of ICT has already started and a number of Heads of ICT said they have already been seen by the Head to discuss the uncertainty surrounding ICT as a subject and the impact that this may have on staffing. Personally, I've had enough of ICT. It bores the pants off me now. I am hoping that there won't be enough hours and I can take redundancy. I've been meaning to go for a while now and this seems like a great opportunity. I want to have a 6 month break then work in a school where Computing is important.

5. ICT will never be dropped as a subject. That would just be plain stupid. I agree the subject needs a major revamp but ICT it is vitally important. Most kids can use a computer, but how many of them can seriously use ICT applications properly? they pick this up during KS3. At our school we are revamping the KS3 ICT SoW to introduce alot of programming as well as Multimedia and ICT. We are then offering GCSE ICT and possibly GCSE Computing as options. Heads of ICT should be using their vision to make the subject interesting, if ICT in your school is boring then i think you need to look at what your doing to make it that way!!!!