1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Special schools

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by greenpaddy, May 10, 2011.

1. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

I would be interested to hear from others about ICT in special schools for children with a range of special needs including physical, medical, profound learning difficulties.

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

We may need to know a lot more about what you are looking at Paddy, and what for. ICT in special schools is a huge area. I'd start by checking out the Inclusive technology website. It's commercial but there's a lot of really helpful free info on there. Also SEN switcher (google for it), Priory Woods web site, Pete Wells Web site and join the SENIT forum

(http://lists.education.gov.uk/mailman/listinfo )

These are the places the experts in special school ICT lurk.

3. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Thanks for your response - have looked at some of these already. I am currently ICT subject leader in a mainstream school and going to look at a special school tomorrow who are looking to employ an ICT teacher. It is a school for pupils with physical disabilities and complex medical needs whose ages range from 4 – 16. We also have a resource for pupils with PMLD (Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties) from 11-19. I have looked at some of the websites above and do know of some of the hardware / software used. Thanks for the SENIT forum details - had not come across this one.

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Hope some of it helped Green. Now you've seen the school do you have a clearer idea of what you need and if it's for you?
    I can't offer much info. regarding pupils with physical difficulties and complex medical needs as I work with pupils who have cognitive difficulties. My pupils are secondary but their ability ranges from P1 through to NC level 2 or 3. many have additional physical needs but it's not their main difficulty. I suspect the major and very real need for pupils with physical need is access devices to support their learning. The mainstream programmes will be appropriate as long as they can do that. Each pupil will need individually assessing for the most appropriate thing and that will change as they grow, develop and change.
    Good luck and keep in touch.

5. A great website is Helpkidzlearn.co.uk has some lovely simple games particualrly for very very lowest ability. There is also a programme to change an ordinary mouse into a single button mouse (try googling it) it saves lots of frustration!

6. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Thank you both for your responses. I had a very good visit and the dh took me around. She said they were not expecting to find someoone who had all the knowledge of working in such a school but were looking for someone to come in and to be able to research tools necessary to support access and learning.