1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT SOW IPAD

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by seftonbooth, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Dear All,
    Sorry to be a bit slow here. But our school has decided to buy 20 Ipad 2's. I was very much use to teaching on lap top computers in our Specail needs school, but now they have been removed for Ipads. Does anyone have any SOW that I could access? My email is sefton@excite.com. I really am at a loss at the moment and am resorting to letting them explore their usage, but I really don't know how to keep them on a task, or what tasks to perform on them! Help!

Cheers,
    Sefton

2. Dear All,
    Sorry to be a bit slow here. But our school has decided to buy 20 Ipad 2's. I was very much use to teaching on lap top computers in our Specail needs school, but now they have been removed for Ipads. Does anyone have any SOW that I could access? My email is sefton@excite.com. I really am at a loss at the moment and am resorting to letting them explore their usage, but I really don't know how to keep them on a task, or what tasks to perform on them! Help!

Cheers,
    Sefton

3. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Do your SMT not have any ideas since they've just dropped £8,000 on iPads. They must have a very clear vision on how they can be used. They must have a purpose in mind. They can't have just bought them because they look flash. They surely can't have bought them with no uses in mind.....

4. Could you use them in Home Economics, like here?

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I think you need to go back to your SMT and ask them for support, simply explain that you have no idea what can be done with the pads and ask them to source you some sort of training course, oh yes and put it in writing. Bottom line is that they bought them because someone at SMT level has been sold a pup by the media or by someone with a vested interest. What you can't do is give it six months and then complain.

6. djphillips1408

BTW I own an ipad and use it constantly, I am an HoD and don't have a clue how I would use them for more than a couple of weeks to do anything meaningful, well not unless you set them all up with dropbox accounts, install cloudon and then use it as a very laggy version of office. Which of course would be much better done with a laptop and office, like you had.....

7. catch222

catch222 New commenter

I have a tablet (not ipad) and love it for organising myself, but it appears you've been given a white elephant -a gadget that is useful in certain circumstances but there's no way I would want to deliver stuff in your position.

They are great for research, looking at certain apps like the solar system one, but there's such a limited range that they can do. Getting the vision of the SLT is needed, and a serious query as to why you weren't included in the discussions, as (it's been said ) £8k with no real idea is a serious oversight.

8. Yes it looks a bit of a problem. The Laptops we had are ten years old and they needed updating e.g. crashing no internet etc.. They updated with IPad's as they belive them to be the future ICT. I just don't have any ICT SOW for it, unless I explored three apps a week. Oh dear, well that's where we are at.

9. http://www.dragonfly-training.co.uk/course.php?mode=details&t_id=369

I went on one of courses today, he seemed to loving iPads in the classroom and had some really good ideas and resources.

Thanks
    Simon

10. djphillips1408

perhaps you might like to share a couple of these ideas.....

11. I attended a different course run by him on creative learning. He showed me some examples of how he used iBooks writer you can download a lite version for free, essentially it is digital excerise book which allows to to combine text, image, video, audio, websites. A bit like Microsoft one note. Other than that that's all he really showed me, hope that helps a little

Thanks
    Simon

12. Oh and obviously he uses drop box to disrubute and submit work on the iPads

Si

13. £400 - bargain

14. Why not go back to basics?

Think about what it is you want your students to learn, create or engage with, and then see how the iPads can facilitate this. You'd be better off posting questions such as "How can I get my students to create X?" or "How can I help my students learn Y?" and then adding on that you have a class set of iPads to assist you in their learning.

This forum is full of iPad detractors and I've rarely seen a question about iPads being answered without the usual Trolls leaping onto a thread to throw scorn upon the devices.

If you need something to help you get up and moving on the iPads now, then you might like to check out this list of Apps, broken down into the various curriculum areas. Edudemic Link

If you want to adapt your old schemes of work, then start from the first module, tell us what you used to do, and we can try and find a method of accomplishing this with iPads. Just don't be blinkered by trying to replicate the things you used to do on a the laptops. The iPad is not particularly strong at accessing server-side resources, but then I doubt your laptops were equiped with cameras, touch-screens and accelerometers.