1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Software

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by DZ77, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Hi can anyone provide me with a list of software that I can purchase for a brand new school opening in 2011. I need a list of secondary level software that can be used for all subjects. I would rather find out what people have used than just purchase software. Open source software I know about and will get, but is there anything else out there?

2. Hi can anyone provide me with a list of software that I can purchase for a brand new school opening in 2011. I need a list of secondary level software that can be used for all subjects. I would rather find out what people have used than just purchase software. Open source software I know about and will get, but is there anything else out there?

3. If you're starting from scratch then why not go open source and cloud based. Get a google apps for edu account and you've got most of what you need.
    If you are intent on spending money then Office 2010 and one of the Adobe suites would be a good start. To be honest, I think we spend more money on subject specific software than anything else. All the publishers produce software that accompanies their courses, so you'll probably need to ask your new HODs what they want.
    A good learning platform would also be a good idea. Moodle is free if you have someone reasonable technically proficient to set it up for you. Frog is great if you have buckets of cash to spend.

4. Serif looks like a great (cheaper) alternative to the Adobe suite. The only drawback for me is that it doesn't run on a Mac, but all the tools are there and it's specifcally for education. I saw them at BETT and was really impressed with the software.
    Google Sketchup for any technology subjects would be a brilliant addition (free and open source too). Very intuitive and powerful.
    Also, Scratch for ICT lessons to teach programming basics.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Open Source has been discussed in depth on here and continues to evolve apace - https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/60017/60017.aspx#60017
    I'd echo the comments about MS Office and Adobe Suite (but this is very expensive). However this assumes you've been forced down the Windows OS route. Speaking of which - which version of Windows are you being lumbered with? Does all the software you're looking at run on this platform?
    Which way are you going to go for Video Editing? Adobe Premiere may be overkill? Someone else has mentioned Serif stuff which is a nice "early" step and fairly well priced. Will your new kit be up to running truely top-end software?
    On another thread you mention BSF - be caseful about over-spec'ing on the software as I've heard some tales about being allowed 10 applications then all others have to be paid for extra. May not be true but as you're with (company name deleted) it probably is [​IMG]
    SuccessMaker? Horrendously expensive but great for SEN.

Prebably raising more questions than I've helped with, sorry.

6. I'd vote for Serif as it's cheaper for the school, the kids can buy it really cheap and it's easier to use, needing less high speced PCs than Adobe.