1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ict skills test

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by hfoddy1, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Having practiced the ICT skills tests until I knew them with my eyes closed, It was still impossible to complete the real test in the 35 minutes permitted. The spreadsheet tasks included 2 activities that did not come up in any of these pre-tests. This left no time to finish the web browser question that I knew I could do had there been an additional 10 minutes ie- 45 mins in total like the numeracy and literacy to achieve 60% pass mark.
    It is bad enough trying to pass this test especially when ICT is used everyday by all teachers, without having to prove that we are capable of doing so.
    I request that all GTP/PGCE/ITT etc students e-mail the TDA demanding an additional 10 minutes in order to make the test fair and less stressful.
    Your comments will be appreciated as I know that I am not the only one who thinks like me.

2. Having practiced the ICT skills tests until I knew them with my eyes closed, It was still impossible to complete the real test in the 35 minutes permitted. The spreadsheet tasks included 2 activities that did not come up in any of these pre-tests. This left no time to finish the web browser question that I knew I could do had there been an additional 10 minutes ie- 45 mins in total like the numeracy and literacy to achieve 60% pass mark.
    It is bad enough trying to pass this test especially when ICT is used everyday by all teachers, without having to prove that we are capable of doing so.
    I request that all GTP/PGCE/ITT etc students e-mail the TDA demanding an additional 10 minutes in order to make the test fair and less stressful.
    Your comments will be appreciated as I know that I am not the only one who thinks like me.

3. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

Personally I found the ICT test the easiest of the three.
    I agree that the test is pointless, however I don't think ten more minutes will change that.

4. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I'm afraid I have to agree there - I found the ICT test pretty straightforward.
    OP, you say you practised the online tests a lot - maybe you got so used to these that when you got tasks that you weren't expecting you over-analysed them and this took up a lot of time? It's easily done, perhaps you over-complicated the tasks in your head. I agree that the tests in general are extremely frustrating, but I think if there was a huge problem with them, the TDA would have received enough feedback to change them by now. Sorry!

5. DT9

DT9 New commenter

I could throw a fair few criticisms at the ICT test, but lack of time would not be one of them.

6. Same, ICT was easiest of the three. Was making sure I did what the instructions told me too, and not taking short cuts.

If it is any help to anyone, the actual Numeracy Test is much easier than the practice ones on the tda website

7. I don't think they give you enough time for the ICT test. I did pass it first time but had about 15 seconds left at the end!

Having said that the vast majority of people seem to pass it.