1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Settler activities?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by jamestrett, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Hello,

I'm an NQT teaching ICT and I have a difficult year 9 group. Mainly just minor disruptions. Has anyone got any suggestions for any "settler" activities done pre-starter to get them working straight away?

2. Hello,

I'm an NQT teaching ICT and I have a difficult year 9 group. Mainly just minor disruptions. Has anyone got any suggestions for any "settler" activities done pre-starter to get them working straight away?

3. I would argue that the starter should *be* a settling activity (as well as a thinking activity). I always take the line that if I can't explain a starter in 10 words on the whiteboard then it's no good as a starter.

If you have access to mini whiteboards and pens then something that requires them to write a short answer often works well. E.g. A sketchup lesson in which we are designing a mansion - "You're a millionaire. Describe your house in 3 words."

Gives them something simple to do immediately no matter what their ability level and leads in nicely to our next task (mind mapping the features we want) and the rest of the lesson (designing the house in sketchup).

Depending on the school, policies, SLT, etc. I am not beyond lining them up until they're quiet, letting them in, then sending them out again if they're still too noisy. My record is 6 times before I was satisfied... It's a fine balance as you don't want to just alienate them and make their behaviour worse but it can work.

And finally - don't think that this means you're a bad teacher. I've just gone through threshold, am Head of Department and am still having a similar issue with a Y8 class. Good luck!

4. Thanks very much both of you. I will give these a try.
    You mentioned sketchup....I haven't seen anyone using this!? My ICT department is very much stuck in the dark ages!. Can you point me to resources available for KS3?

5. Some great resources here- http://voyager.egglescliffe.org.uk/mwc/mukoku/course/view.php?id=6