1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT @ Secondary School Level to be "REMOVED" as a discrete subject

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mistag, Nov 9, 2010.

1. It appears the Government spending cuts and educational reviews have hit our subject of ICT as a discrete subject.
    Recent Union and Educational seminars in the last two weeks have pointed to ICT being amalgamated within English, Maths and Science and allegedly is to be removed as a "standalone" subject. The white paper is due out end of November to finalise this approach but already the writing is on the wall with all the ICT quangos shut down and the Primary Strategy - including ICT is to be ditched. Further Functional Skills are no longer to be "promoted" and Diplomas only to be introduced at Level 2 if applicable. Only Level 3 Diplomas were considered of any use by the new government.
    Whether the curriculum is to be removed at KS 3 and/or KS4 remains to be seen. It is fair to say that the Education Sector is to undergo its major transformation since the National Curriculum was first introduced and is not good news for this subject as a whole and those who teach it. It sounds like ICT is to be "dumbed down" to save on costs and investment with Data Handling and Modelling in Maths and Presenting Information (web/WP/Publishing) in English.
    Worrying times...I am keen to hear from anyone regarding this as in a years time this is allegedly to take effect with no recourse. All the information quoted was given directly via Union representatives AND our leadership who identified this from material given.

2. It appears the Government spending cuts and educational reviews have hit our subject of ICT as a discrete subject.
    Recent Union and Educational seminars in the last two weeks have pointed to ICT being amalgamated within English, Maths and Science and allegedly is to be removed as a "standalone" subject. The white paper is due out end of November to finalise this approach but already the writing is on the wall with all the ICT quangos shut down and the Primary Strategy - including ICT is to be ditched. Further Functional Skills are no longer to be "promoted" and Diplomas only to be introduced at Level 2 if applicable. Only Level 3 Diplomas were considered of any use by the new government.
    Whether the curriculum is to be removed at KS 3 and/or KS4 remains to be seen. It is fair to say that the Education Sector is to undergo its major transformation since the National Curriculum was first introduced and is not good news for this subject as a whole and those who teach it. It sounds like ICT is to be "dumbed down" to save on costs and investment with Data Handling and Modelling in Maths and Presenting Information (web/WP/Publishing) in English.
    Worrying times...I am keen to hear from anyone regarding this as in a years time this is allegedly to take effect with no recourse. All the information quoted was given directly via Union representatives AND our leadership who identified this from material given.

3. I'll wait until something is officially announced.

4. Worrying...
    How come this if your first post? That's my worry. The message I'm sure may be true, but when it comes from a first poster only, I do worry that you may lack a little bit of credibility!
    Are you able to back up your words with any hard evidence, such as more references to what your senior staff itk are talking about?

5. I think it's unlikely if only because ICT is seen has high tech and important by politicians.
    (l8r, after laughing for 20 minutes)
    We shall see, anyway.

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

How does the rating system work? TES get your act into gear. A 5* rating should not be allowed if the only person rating it is the OP on their first post!!

7. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

@OP - You *are* Michael Gove and I claim my crisp white £5 note.

...PS @ you young'uns on here - that was vaguely funny for anyone over 45.

8. To be honest I am not interested in credibility but more interested in the alarming signs coming out of Government ministers, Union meetings and Headteacher meetings alluding to the information above. Indeed it is best to wait for "official confirmation" but do you not think this is worth investigating rather than dismissing it so easily? If you are indeed working within a secondary school the whole point of the discussion item was to politely push people to see what they heard within their schools! It certainly was not the idea to draw out peoples comments on whether I am "credible" or a "newbie". I find that worrying and very troll like......

9. So, I look forward to the next generation of pupils being good at PowerPoint and Word. They'll also think that Comic Sans is an appropriate font too.
    [​IMG]

I can't see this being a reality, but then you never know with the way governments follow dubious "educational" advice

10. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

They always come up with something but then ditch it later on. I'll just wait for the White Paper to be published before getting my knickers in a twist

11. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I would say that it is highly unlikely after all most schools tend to look for ICT to deliver results!
    The most worrying one that is being rumoured is the new A*-C rating which will possibly now include maths english science and MFL - hence not a lot of time ot teach ICT (or history or geography etc)
    We may go the same way as business studies and only be taught KS4 and 5 with no required curriculum at KS3!

12. BrianUK

BrianUK New commenter

The OP's title is a bit OTT/"News Of The World".
    I have just taught a class of Year 7's whose lack of basic skills (we're talking copy\cut\paste, Save As, etc) were worse than my 77 year old mum's. There is DEFINITELY a case for IT literacy at schools. Vocational awards that are industry relevant have a place too IMO (e.g. MOS, MCP, CCNA etc). There is DEFINITELY a case for computational thinking and Computer Science. These can and should all exist together in the same curriculum. Amen.

13. BrianUK

BrianUK New commenter

I reckon the OP is govt. bullsh!tter. How did you get 5 *'s on this? and why am I keeping this thread at the top of the list? Aaaaaaaghghh.

14. colwynexile

As one Bryan to another Brian, I agree. Oh god, now I'm keeping it up on top (ooh err missus)

15. .... I've taught a class of Year 7's who could probably do the OCT Nats as they are ....

16. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL
    However I susepct that certain "nom de plumes" will be back to push this thread back to the top....

17. FEED TROLLS!!! They get hungry too.
    DON'T FEED POSTERS WHO SAY "DON'T FEED THE TROLLS" AS THEY ARE PROBABLY TROLLS, SETTING UP NEW ACCOUNTS AND LEADING YOU ALONG (CUNNINGLY) INTO A WEIRD PLAN TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

18. Apologies for encouraging the thread, but
    [​IMG]

19. While I must confess to the odd trolling tendency (apologies to users of IWBs, VLEs and the non-existent web 2.0).
    I would like to say, what the *** is wrong with Comic Sans?
    It's lovely.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11582548

20. colwynexile

No don't feed the trolls and feed the posters that are anti-trolls as;
    a) we need all the energy to beat the trolls
    b) it is part of a double-blind plan to take over the world, whahahahahahahaha!
    ideas of what to do with interferring education ministers on a postcard please