1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT resource wishlist

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Imtellingonyou, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

What essential pieces of equipment / software are needed for good quality ICT teaching?

I have money to spend (not blow!) and want to move as far away from MS Office as possible. We have enough laptops / netbooks and we're getting a VLE, but not much else.

I was thinking - Bee-Bots / Probots, Flip cameras, Crazy Talk, headphones/microphones and some animation software.

Can anyone recommend any good pieces of software / hardware that really makes a difference and is easily used by teachers and young children?

Thanks,

:)

2. Imtellingonyou

What essential pieces of equipment / software are needed for good quality ICT teaching?

I have money to spend (not blow!) and want to move as far away from MS Office as possible. We have enough laptops / netbooks and we're getting a VLE, but not much else.

I was thinking - Bee-Bots / Probots, Flip cameras, Crazy Talk, headphones/microphones and some animation software.

Can anyone recommend any good pieces of software / hardware that really makes a difference and is easily used by teachers and young children?

Thanks,

:)

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Unbreakable headphones and a good technician available when neededwould make my life so much easier
    software 2simple have some really useful resources

4. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

definately flip cameras, that can be normal still images and video.
    Dictaphones or voice recorders.
    Data loggers for linking to science and maths.
    Webcams great for animation.
    Visualisers across the school.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

err... computers that will allow the children to log on. Anything else is a bonus. And would agree with the above, a technician who is on call and in class within 30 seconds and can fix all problems very quickley!!
    Still dreaming..

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How about enough computers so that a class can log on one between two...then like you say, anything else is a bonus.

I'd also love enough digital cameras for class use, so about 10 would be good, ones that also do films would be amazing.

Microphones that record role play, hotseating, etc would be fab as well.

Oh and a working smartboard (or any other interactive board that is actually interactive!).

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Could really do with more info - is yours a new primary school, with no previous ICT teaching or resources? If not what exactly do you have? Are you looking for ICT resources or cross curricular as well? You didn't mention IWBs at all .... You are looking for software which is easy for staff to use but you have a VLE - confusing. Do you have the support of management or do you just get stuff handed down to you? What weaknesses in your present curriculum delivery do you most urgently need to address? Why do you HAVE to spend the money now, it's the perfect way to waste money. Get your head to approve holding some over to the next financial year...

8. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Can I ask why you want to move as far away from MS Office as possible?

My experience is limited but all jobs I've had (teaching and non-teaching) have used Office software and it seems fairly prolific in the wider world, whether you like it or not. I'd think that children learning to use Office would be quite useful. (As long as it was a fairly recent version.)

9. Imtellingonyou

At the minute the school relies heavily on MS Office however, clearly, ICT teaching and learning extends far beyond this. Yes Office is important and should be a part of any ICT curriculum but at the moment there is an over-reliance on it when there is so much more out there.
    @Beckton_Boy
    We are in the middle of purchasing Frog so there the VLE situation will be resolved soon (ish). Money has already been budgeted for this year and next so it won't be wasted money but needs to be spent. We have about 200 laptops but limited software. Data Loggers are important and need to be bought if you could reccomend some reliable ones? There are no resources for control technology except Bee-Bots in EYFS. We have Podium but no microphones/headphones. I'd like to buy some Easi-Speak microphones to record and download as MP3. Is there anything you can suggest that would really enhance IT teaching?

10. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I could mail you a list of the software I have put together at my school over the years and you could research some of that? there is also a list of other peripherals which you might think about and then we could PM or mail any further discussion?
    The list is also in my Toolkit for New Primary ICT Coordinators, if you are interested?
    Haven't found a mike I like but spending a few extra piunds on Coomber headphones has paid off in spades for me - they have lasted nearly 10 years and only now a few have started to get unreliable (unlike cheaper ones which are trashed or useless in 18 months). Have found a combination of Junior Insight+Log-It handheld loggers+Commotion Control/Sensing boxes an excellent combination.Commotion CoCo3can use the control box but also has excellent simulations for whole class work. You should also have a Logo application for control+instructions, a vector graphics program, a good paint type program
    Easispeaks are a bit of a pain - the Pros have a screen to let you see the track you are playing.
    Half class set of cheap digital cameras can be very handy.
    Junior Viewpoint for database work, 2Simple 2Investigate (and other titles) for KS1. Think about webcames for stop motion animation, I Can Animate is cool but pricey, SMA is free but less good looking. I could go on and on.....

11. Zu3D is an AMAZING piece of animation software. We have it at our school, and I've just used it with year 2's who came up with a pretty good animation! Very easy to use, and put together.