1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Qualification in Year 9

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by dangermouse_2007, Mar 22, 2010.

1. dangermouse_2007

dangermouse_2007 New commenter

Hello people,

I was wondering how Heads of Faculty and ICT departments go about putting students through an ICT qualification in Year 9.
    Couple of things i dont understand.
    1. Lets say you offer OCR or an AiDA, how do you then sort out the students when they get to Year 10 and they have already got there GCSE??? Or done Unit one as it where???
    2. Anybody do the functional skills yet in Year 9 (we are doing this but under no pressure to submit for exams so we do that in Y10 with our compulsory ICT kids)

cheers

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

We do OCR Nationals.
    Current Y9 will have done one unit by end of Y9. They will complete Unit 1 in Core ICT therefore completing the GCSE equivalent in Y10 & 11.
    Students opting for ICT will do further units to get 2,3,4 equivalent depending on their choice and their capability.
    HTH

3. Hi

I am curretly looking for a qualification to do in year 9 ICT. However, I do not want to do anything which is going to affect our option numbers in KS4. Therefore I am looking for a qualification that is not the equivalent of a GCSE. Any ideas? I have considered INGOTs but that is worth half a GCSE and I don't want parents or SLT asking why we are not doing the other half at KS4 becasue I am hapyy with the courses we offer at KS4.
    Thanks.

4. Functional Skills?

5. I'd say resist the impulse and the pressure to deliver level 2 qualifications in year 9. Do you see all your other subject areas in your school doing the same? It is a peculiar insanity in ICT brought about by noddy ICT Nationals. In my opinion all HoDs who offer level 2 in year 9 are result tables drones who have contributed to ICT being brought into the gutter. Although the good news is their time is up very shortly - Mickey Mouse is getting will be booted off the accredited qualifications list.