1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT PoS going for the time being

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Khashoggi, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Khashoggi

Khashoggi New commenter

2. Erm....never went away, did it?

3. I don't understand this.
    Doesn't this allow schools to deliver 'ICT' however they see fit, to a definition they can invent - so ICT ends up being one PowerPoint a year in English from Y7-11?
    That's if they are ambitious, of course.

4. And not a word about Computer Studies?

5. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

will they return, I couldn't find that bit?

6. The reports relate to primary only, as it stands. Levels are going, not to return, and a shorter PoS will be available in the autumn for ICT which remains a subject to be compulsorily taught across key stages.

No news on secondary yet.

7. mattbazza

mattbazza New commenter

"As a clear statement of the importance that it attaches to ICT education, the Government has decided that ICT will continue to be a National Curriculum subject, with new statutory Programmes of Study at all four key stages, from September 2014. "

That statement does include secondary.

8. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

I'd be very interested in the source of that quote for an meeting I'm going to- couldn't see it on the link

9. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Ta mattbazza couldn't find that bit

10. mattbazza

mattbazza New commenter

http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1842&external=no&menu=1

If you select Download Consultation Document (Word), you will find the quote in the second paragraph of the second page.

11. mattbazza

mattbazza New commenter

Think it means both ICT and DT are not going in a basic curriculum but staying in the national curriculum.

12. p2 of the disapplication consultation response summary at http://bit.ly/KwILLQ (.docx)

13. Hurrah.

14. Thanks mattbazza, was only looking at press releases hadn't got round to the consultation doc yet[​IMG]
    bouga

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Thanks for the link there.

Ironic that with Mr Gove's recent pronouncements on spelling and grammar, my spellchecker is highlighting 'disapply' and 'disapplication' as non-existent words.

16. Excellent news. ICT still gets the kicking it deserves, but Computing is the way forward. Glad to see that all the stupid levels are dust from September and those meaningless level descriptors and LEA meetings where we discuss them and work out that they can mean anything you want them to mean will be a thing of the past. Lots of useful comments about how poor ICT is. Looking forward to next year already.

17. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

18. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

The thing I don't get is did anyone on here really follow the old PoS anyway? I binned the first incarnation that came out 10 years ago and ignored the subsequent efforts too. We are doing nothing different next year to what we have done last year and the years before that.

19. Well, a few things strike me here:

I haven't seen one word of praise for Computing from the Government of late since David Willetts labelled it as **** last week.

ICT can be anything you want it to be now including cross-curricular PowerPoints.

Aren't you supposed to be retiring in 30 something days, mymouse?