1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT PGCE To do or not to.....

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by thebridekiddo, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hi,

This is my first post and I need some advise from those of you in the field already. I am a mother of 2 small kids and need to start earning some money. I have 4 years experience working in networking for an Investment bank and stopped to have a family. After looking at various jobs there are none out there for people who want to not work 24/7. I am now thinking of applying to become an ICT secondary school teacher. Having read about the current situation with regard to ICT in schools I am now thinking even this is not a good idea.

Should I bother going down the PGCE route only to find mass redundancies when I come out?
    Should I take my PGCE in another subject? (I have a BSc Hons in Business I.T)

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi,

This is my first post and I need some advise from those of you in the field already. I am a mother of 2 small kids and need to start earning some money. I have 4 years experience working in networking for an Investment bank and stopped to have a family. After looking at various jobs there are none out there for people who want to not work 24/7. I am now thinking of applying to become an ICT secondary school teacher. Having read about the current situation with regard to ICT in schools I am now thinking even this is not a good idea.

Should I bother going down the PGCE route only to find mass redundancies when I come out?
    Should I take my PGCE in another subject? (I have a BSc Hons in Business I.T)

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

3. Have you thought about training in the Further Education sector?

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Send a speculative cv out to all your local schools offering yourself up as a GTP, you get paid more, you are still cheap for the school and as you take more of a timetable chances are if you do a good job in that year you may well be retained.

5. robot1

robot1 New commenter

Be careful. Some on this forum think ICT is on its way out and some think its as safe a houses. A few think ICT will survive after a some degree of trimming down. ICT vacancies used to be plentiful but this is no longer the case.
    I have seen for myself how a change in government policy can impact on subjects. My school had a expanding and successful sociology department with four groups in each year 10 and 11. The Ebacc which only takes history and geography as being humanities has had a huge impact. There are to be half the number of groups next year, and who knows about following year when the Ebacc get more publicity.
    You will be better placed to decide when the governments new national curriculum review is out. If ICT is no longer compulsory at KS3 and KS4 (which it is now!) heads could decide to go either way. If more than a few drop taught ICT, then there will be an over supply of ICT teachers looking for a job.
    For what its worth, after nearly 20 years of teaching ICT, I am exploring what I need to teach maths (just in case). Business studies which could be another option for you is not as big as it used to be.
    Good luck.

6. Be careful with an ICT pgce. There is no reason why you can't be successful securing a job in the future, but be aware that there is the very real and probable situation where ICT will be removed from the statutory national curriculum. The above post has the measure... you will be competing for jobs with many redundant ICT teachers. If you have strength or background in Maths you have a sound and secure career in front of you.
    ICT is not flavour of the month - due to government policy and the subject's reputation being ravaged due to many schools delivering a poor qualifaction designed solely to be easy and boost results (OCR National)
    However, despite this ICT is thriving and valued in many schools and there are fantastic opportunities for exciting teaching. There is some great stuff going on in schools and enthusiastic and passionate staff will always get jobs.
    But these are genuinely uncertain times and it will be a gamble.
    p.s. contrary to the previous post GTP teachers are generally not considered as strong as PGCE students. (wait for the howls of protest on the thread replies). Always go with a PGCE if you can, especially given that you want to have the strongest CV possible.

7. Don't do an ICT PGCE; you won't get a job.

Simple as that, really.

8. Many thanks for all your replies. I understand it's a risky thing to do but when will we find out if/when it will be dropped from the statutary national curriculam?

9. In the last 12 months, I've watched 2 talented staff members have to walk out of the department to a very uncertain future - neither has managed to secure full-time employment IN LONDON for Christ's sake.
    You don't need that stress or the feeling of being unwanted.
    Choose another subject and..
    DON'T DO IT!

10. I believe it will be sometime in the new year.

11. Sorry that was more vague than I intended it to be, - early 2012

12. Think very carefully before going into teaching...it's a tough gig and if you don't like the idea of working 24x7 then it may not be for you! The first few years will be constant planning, not to mention what you will have to do for the PGCE. I came from industry 6 years ago and had 2 small kids and it has certainly affected the quality of time I've had with them. I'm not saying don't do it - but do your research before committing and spend some time in schools (both bad and good - another mistake I made was only spending time in a good school so I didn't get a real appreciation of potential behaviour problems which I later came up against).

13. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Last post is right. Teaching is a 60+ hour a week job, not an easy gig. Unfortunately ICT has the worst teachers, people that haven't a clue doing an ICT pgce. *** about no jobs in London, I'd cut my right arm of for a teacher that could teach a2 ict and computer science.
    But they don't exist.

14. Again thanks for the advice. Here's my thinking please bear with me. The situation at the moment is definately not rosy BUT this is the way I see it. The bursury has been cut for ICT so no more £9,000 incentives. This is why there are vacancies for full-time ICT PGCE's in London. If there are minimal new NQTs out there and the government doesn't give ICT the chop in Jan then I could secure a job in London (fingers crossed). My aim for next September is to secure 3 days supply work for a couple of years until my son is old enough not to have mummy pick him up from school. So, my question is whats your take on NQTs doing supply? (are they jobless too!).

15. cj3

cj3

Caution - teaching isnt as child friendly as you may think - apart from the fact that you get school holidays at the same time. During the working week it is highly unlikely that you will be able to take your son to or pick them up from school - so get used to arranging child care for that. And it will be for more than a couple of years before your child can make theri own way to school safely - teens. As for marking and preparation - if you do it properly - there is loads of marking - especially if you do OCR Nationals. You teach many more kids than core subject teachers, so your mark load is more, not less!!! There is also a lot of time spent learning new software/gadgets. You are expected to know everything about ICT. I am not saying there are no positives - but I would echo the comments of above posts - it is not an easy gig - it is very intense and very demanding.

16. There's lots of IFs there.....Once you pass the PGCE you have to do your NQT year and pass that before you are fully qualified. Most people go down the route of getting a full time job and the school supporting them in that. If you are supply in your NQT year then I believe this may be more difficult (but not impossible). If you fail to get regular employment then you may not complete the NQT year. I'm no expert in this - perhaps someone else can enlighten us. I'm sure I've read posts on here from people trying to do this and having all sorts of problems.

BTW I now teach in FE in the North West. We've had terrible problems getting good quality A level ICT teachers. I'd make sure that your PGCE covers post 16 so you have that option. (I'm not recommending FE thought....that has it's own problems and you get mucked around alot by management).

I hate to be the voice of doom and gloom....but I will! My vision of teaching before I started was lots of holidays, nice kids, and a bit of out of class work....boy was I wrong! My holidays are now cut in FE (although better than industry granted), some of the kids are horrid and behaviour is bad (although there are nice ones you need to be able to cope with very challenging behaviour) and there is LOADS of out of class work. I work 2 days a week. At times I have found myself working at least 2 of the days I have off to prepare for my 2 days in work! Lessons and plans don't just materialise from nowhere...it can be hard going at time, especially if you want to do everything really well.

I know there are alot of dedicated teachers on this forum who love their job. I can't say I love it...it is a job that I approach in a professional manner and try to do to the best of my ability and I try to improve each year. I personally would never recommend teaching unless you have a true vocation to do it. It's certainly not an easy option.

17. yes - I echo the stuff about not being child friendly. On the days I work my kids are in before school and after school childcare. If you are working in a school there is little chance of every getting time off for assemblies, sports days and christmas plays so you will miss out on that unless you are part time (part time jobs not easy to come by).
    Not to mention you can only take holidays at the most expensive times of the year!

18. I'm sure we do exist but there just aren't the jobs.

19. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I wouldn't worry too much about the workload - it depends on what you were doing before. I spent my NQT year in a school where we had to create a lot of new resources, and I still felt like I was on holiday compared with my previous job in the software industry where people were working 100-hour weeks in the office.
    The childcare issue is going to get trickier as more schools become academies. I recently had to turn down a job at a new academy because not only would I have been expected to work until 5.15pm when my daughter's after-school club closes at 5.30pm and is 15 miles from the school, but they also have a 5-term year starting in the middle of August, so we wouldn't have been spending holidays together, either.
    Are there any ICT PGCEs left? The head of the one at Warwick (which I did) told me that it wouldn't be running next year because there was no funding.

20. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

In what world is that? I come in at 8.00 (start 8.45 I normally just read personal email and play scrabble in that time window) I leave at 4.30 and I don't do anything at home and I head the department, sure I do a fair few bits of resource creation, but to be truthful that's just for fun mostly, it's not work. It's 60+ hours a week if you are inefficient maybe