1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Mark

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by chumpmonkey, Jul 8, 2011.

1. chumpmonkey

chumpmonkey New commenter

What are your opinions on the ICT Mark? Is it something that is worth doing? How long did it take you to complete the Mark from start to finish? Will the ICT Mark be stopped soon or will it continue? How much work is involved in completing the mark and will it prove a distraction? I am the subject leader for ICT at a well organised secondary school and I am pretty confident about the ICT around the school being up to the requirements.
    Thank you

2. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

waste of time.

3. Same, unfortunately.

4. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

It took a good long time to do and the outcome was... a certificate to put on the wall and a logo for our website. It's useful for putting on your CV, or to impress heads, but not particularly useful from a school persepctive.
    You have to re-apply for it as well every few years,

5. All these quality marks are a waste of time.
    I remember years ago when the Software Co I was working for looked at BS5750.
    What it meant was rather than the practice of being allocated a bug, fixing it, documenting the fix and passing it to the testers, you'd do the same process with five times as much paperwork. It made no difference to the quality at all, probably made it work.
    Companies with no real use make money from flogging this sort of nonsense.

6. I'm all for it, as long as it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with me in any shape or form.

7. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Just print out this and fill in your school's name in a neat hand (maybe with one of those goldy pens)
    http://www.communication4all.co.uk/Certificates%20and%20Awards/ICT%20Superstar%20Award.pdf
    It has about the same credibility as the award you want to go for. .. and the certifcate is nicer

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Utterly useless and pointless ..... a uniform picture begins to emerge ..... but then you are on an ICT forum where people who might know a little bit about ICT could be expected to huddle in search of a little warmth. Try posting on a forum frequented by HTs (there must be some) and you might get a few contrasting answers with words like 'best practice', 'value for money', 'expectations' and some other edubabble thrown in.
    Whatever your school decides to do, make sure you don't end up with the form filling, evidence gathering and writing up.

9. I personally can't want to spend copious amounts of spare time currently being wasted on pointless pursuits, filling in an on-line form the size of Weymouth, and then pay £650 for some fresh-faced nerdy geek with a diploma to come in an validate my 45 years teaching ICT.