1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Mark? Is it worth anything?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by dewiew, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Just wanted to gather people's feelings about is the ICT Mark worth persuing??
    I'm a Secondary School ITCAC Co-ordinater.

2. Just wanted to gather people's feelings about is the ICT Mark worth persuing??
    I'm a Secondary School ITCAC Co-ordinater.

3. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Well we have just had an ICT Ofsted inspection and the answer would be yes - it allowed us to say about focus how we have strategically planned using teh framework etc!

4. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

We couldn't justify it at our school (although a Junior) since it cost £500 every three years.

5. tonyuk

Once you have it its possible to get it cheaper after first time as there are differnet ways to get "examined"

6. School Boy Error

It's still £500 for what is essentially a pat on the back. I never quite understand these things. You do all the extra work, have to fill in their paper work, fulfill their criteria etc etc and then pay them £500 to come and check that you've done it for a crappy plaque for the wall.
    It's like the ECM survey the LEA make us do. We, as teachers, have to conduct the survey, collect all the data, put it together as school data and then send it to Warwickshire. Now to do that, it costs US £50! The best part is if we want a copy of the LEA wide results it costs another £50!!
    Honestly, if I don't laugh about it I'd cry. I might start a business though. The Creative Mark - I set up some stupid framework and then the teachers have to do all the work. All I have to do is turn up and say Yes or No and they give me £500; I can sit tight and then re-visit in three years and get another £500. Easy money or what? But shhhhh don't tell anyone that I don't actually "do" anything for them nor do they "get" anything of any real value and they've done all the work I've done nothing for my big wedge of cash.

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

and actually having the Mark was the only way of establishing that? surely just filling in the framework would be enough? or indeed just showing the evidence rather than putting it into the framework at all?

8. I think the ICT mark is a load of tosh. Its a criminal waste of money when that cash can be spent directly on what matters - provision for the students themselves.
    If you are are going to give it any credance, just use the self evaluation framework as a self auditing tool.
    If you are foolish enough to invest money (i.e your time) in the process by creating paperwork/evidence and then paying a significant fee for a pat on the back visit and a plaque that nobody actually cares about - crazy times!

9. School Boy Error, Tosbrown and myself are happy to set up the ICT-Mark2. We'll assess your curriculum for £500 and let you know where to remove OCR Nationals and where to add Computing.

:)

10. Although I don't work in a school any more I was part of a team who worked (successfully) on getting the ICT Mark

It was really useful in focussing minds and highlighting things we needed to work on. Although the process was probably more valuable than the award I'm not sure how motivated people would be if they didn't have an end goal in sight.

It was a very worthwhile experience for the school I worked in.

Chris Matchett

11. Wouldn't do it myself but to the 'advantage' of enabling you to look at what you do right and what you do wrong, could I add the high probability of it making your Head really happy.
    You just know he's not going to care about what you do as long as you have a bit of paper and he'll find the money for any number of those.
    An all-round win.

12. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

My personal viewpoint...
    Having looked at the framework and the costs involved....
    It appears to force schools to pay good money and waste time to prove what they already know they're good at. The first "benefit" of having the ICT Mark, according to the web site, is to "provide an opportunity to celebrate success". (£500 spent down the pub with staff could achieve the same objective!). Yet without "The Mark", you are considered by some to be "less worthy".
    Any school employing professionals trusted to do their job will be able to provide a good ICT service without having to get it accredited, though the framework itself may be of value in helping to achieve this. The "mark" enables you to add another logo to your letterhead, which may fulfil a secondary objective in terms of marketing.
    I wonder if anyone will come to its defence?
    Perhaps I should set up an alternative "ICT Mark" and undercut the fee to say £450. You'd get a nice logo to add to your letterhead too. Anyone interested?

13. tonyuk

I would not have defended it indeed I argued that we should not go for it a second time - however having just gone through a section 11 Ofsted for ICT Im glad we did - lets hope you have everything in place should they come calling!

14. School Boy Error

+1 :D

15. I found the evaluation process VERY useful. [​IMG]