1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT manager place in school

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mungaz, May 29, 2011.

1. Where in the hierarchy should the ICT manager or Director of ICT be in the school? I think its normal for him to be in the SMT at least to help guide school's use of ICT at every level. Can he be at par with the Director studies too?

2. Where in the hierarchy should the ICT manager or Director of ICT be in the school? I think its normal for him to be in the SMT at least to help guide school's use of ICT at every level. Can he be at par with the Director studies too?

3. The same level as the Site Manager in a school. do they sit on your SMT too?

4. Dependswhat you mean by ICT Manager/Director. Network Manager/technical director probably not on SLT; Strategic ICT probably yes.

5. It depends whether they are involved in policy making or not. Here, for example, I'm an IT Manager and not on the SMT. I have no need to be, as I'm not the one writing our IT policies - instead, I advise the person who does this, and put my side of things from a technical point of view on their desk. Whoever is in charge of the ICT curriculum side of things puts their side in too, and other people with an interest add their bit, and between all that, policies get created. That person is on the SMT.

If the IT Manager/Director/Chieftain is the one doing the strategic planning and policy making then they should be on SMT.

6. The same level as most Director of Studies or Heads of Department - Middle Manager level.
    Head of ICT/Director of ICT has charge of subject delivery, course development and staff development of that department.
    SMT I'm afraid would be irrelevant. It's almost part of the job description for ICT teams to help develop staff skills in ICT

7. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Pretty much my position.
    I do write the policies, line manage the ICT Technical Manager, oversee the ICT Subject Leader and even have time to teach [​IMG]