1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT level 2 ocr nationals Unit 21 2010 AO4

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ictgoodpractice, May 4, 2012.

1. Have any of you been told that the word graphic has to me something with an image inside it as will as a shape and that effects and bevelling etc in a graphics program is not enough for a graphic rollover?
    I had a moderator and he told me that they have all been instructed that this is what is expected from the ao4 roll over buttons. I have to get the pupils to now re do all their work.
    Anyone else had this please?

2. Have any of you been told that the word graphic has to me something with an image inside it as will as a shape and that effects and bevelling etc in a graphics program is not enough for a graphic rollover?
    I had a moderator and he told me that they have all been instructed that this is what is expected from the ao4 roll over buttons. I have to get the pupils to now re do all their work.
    Anyone else had this please?

3. LinW2010

LinW2010 New commenter

Is it the AO4 or the AO3? I thought it was the navbar rather than buttons. Yes, there's a massive fuss over this one - They are insisting on some sort of graphic/image, not just a shape with text in. For the navbar, it should be ok to just add housing for the buttons (this will also make it one graphic rather than a collection of buttons) and make sure that the housing contains some sort of image, or stick a house on the home button, or something like that.
    Check out OCR's own forums for further discussion. http://social.ocr.org.uk/groups/ict/conversations/ict-unit-21-ao3-ocr-nationals-2010-please-help

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

We hadn't spotted this either.
    <Sulk Mode On>
    So the research that students do at the start to give them ideas that they then incorporate into their websites to make them look professional, fit for audience and purpose, means they HAVE to then produce a product that is neither by adding a picture, rather than a graphic!
    </Sulk>
    Surely the point was to prevent just text based menus?

5. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

In terms of the nav bar the grading criteria does say text and graphics so they are within their right to fail!

6. evilmonkey

evilmonkey New commenter

For me a shape (especially one with effects etc.) is a graphical element, so no, I would not feel happy at failing. If it said "text and pictures" then yes, that would be fair.

Thanks for the heads up anyway!

7. LinW2010

LinW2010 New commenter

Oh believe me the arguments have been made loud and clear with OCR! The best I've seen is to say that the company has specified they want some sort of extra graphic to add interest to the navigation bar, so it's part of the design spec rather than good design practice.
    There's the argument that if a shape on another shape counts as a graphic, why doesn't just the original shape count? And the argument that if it wasn't made clear right at the start, why can't they let it go for this cohort and make it clear for later ones? But as most people are at the end of doing this, I think it's just whatever it takes for now. As a graphics unit, it sounds fair to make them do some graphics work, but should have been made absolutely clear from the start what was expected.

8. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

How about the TES menu? under the interpretation being provided that would FAIL as there is no "picture"yet it is a graphics based menu.

9. Load of rubbish - a graphic is anything stored in an image format. A plain rectangle would suffice but would be of dubious quality, so a bevelled, shaded, patterned (etc.) background graphic is fine.

10. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Yes but the TES isn't trying to jump through hoops to pass a piece of course work! [​IMG]