1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT KS4 courses - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by domirati, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Hi

I am really struggling what to do with my year 10 students next year. The current year 10 cohort are doing AQA GCSE. I have found this tedious in the extreme. We have an exciting KS3 curriculum but all they have to do for GCSE appears to be databases and spreadsheets. We have just finished the hard slog of Unit 2 which was death by screenshot - again. I am now going through the Unit 3 tasks, and, lo and behold, it appears to be spreadsheet and database based yet again. I am looking at Cambridge Nationals but SLT are not keen. What are anyone else's experiences? I am dreading launching unit 3 after HT with year 10! Are OCR and Edexcel any better?

2. Hi

I am really struggling what to do with my year 10 students next year. The current year 10 cohort are doing AQA GCSE. I have found this tedious in the extreme. We have an exciting KS3 curriculum but all they have to do for GCSE appears to be databases and spreadsheets. We have just finished the hard slog of Unit 2 which was death by screenshot - again. I am now going through the Unit 3 tasks, and, lo and behold, it appears to be spreadsheet and database based yet again. I am looking at Cambridge Nationals but SLT are not keen. What are anyone else's experiences? I am dreading launching unit 3 after HT with year 10! Are OCR and Edexcel any better?

3. I feel your pain.

Thank d Lord I don't have to have anything to do with this disgraceful excuse for a course. AQA should be ashamed of themselves for serving up yet another sh1te ict course. Ofqual should be shot at dawn for setting such appalling standards for exam boards to follow, and for not recognising very quickly how bad these new specifications were and doing something about it quickly. I strongly question the knowledge and competance of those people at ofqual who are were in charge of delivering up 'a qualification for the future' and those at the moment who should be quality controlling this course. Why didn't they for example trial these damnable controlled assessments? It was so obvious they were a) tedious in the extreme and b) not doable in the time allocated and c) going to end up with every school interpreting how to do them and most of them ending up in blatant cheating. Death by spreadsheet, database, screenshot and project methodology - again. Ofqual are incompetent.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything that commends the other exam boards' gcses either so my advice is to do the right thing and move towards GCSE Computing.

4. dogpile

dogpile New commenter

Totally agree with the views on AQA which is an utter utter waste of time. It would be killing the subject except the subject has already died.

However lots of Sixth Forms wouldn't touch OCR Nats as a credible qualification and I can't see a name change changing that perception. So I'm stuck with it. Few of my kids could cope with Computing (say 2 small classes out of 10) so I'm left with going to BCS for more brain numbing, iGCSE to kiss CA goodbye or Business Studies/economics. But is has to be GCSE.

5. Previously did DiDA/OCR with the whole cohort. From September 2013 will do GCSE as an option. Likely to start Edexcel GCSE. Enjoy teaching the Edexcel Applied ICT A Level at the moment and, although the replacement isn't there yet this seems the best lead in. Definitely not going down the computing route at KS4.

6. I'm guessing the switch to Cambridge Nationals with the added exam element should help with the perception. The OCR Nationals arent that great, some of the model assignments are dire. I understand the credibility issue, I have had students who were ridiculously behind in ICT for a day or 2 complete an entire unit.
    BTECs are much more practical and hands-on but the administration is a mare, as can allowing students access to system settings etc.