1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT KS3 PoS - 2012

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ie14, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    Has anyone planned a PoS/SOW for KS3 ICT reflecting the changes taking place from Sept 2012?
    Thanks,
    I

2. Hi guys,
    Has anyone planned a PoS/SOW for KS3 ICT reflecting the changes taking place from Sept 2012?
    Thanks,
    I

3. Yes thanks - have you?!

4. Thats what im asking - if you read the question!!

5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I get the impression you don't pick up on sarcasm very well [​IMG].
    Do what you do now, add in Scratch, sorted.
    What more do you need?

6. You mean the changes that were announced yesterday? Yes, I've had 2 Departmental meetings and rewritten all the schemes of work in the last 24 hours.

7. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Yes, in light of the changes from September 2012 we've taken the heavy decision to .... keep doing it as we're doing it. I fear you'll find us all on here mooting the same.

The thread does actually hit on something useful here - a lot of us are doing some really great things with our own SoW's but the outline of them doesn't get published anywhere centrally - and quite a few HoDs only read here and don't post (and more worryingly still follow the old PoS....)
    Here's ours:
    Y7:
    Presenting Information
    E-Safety: Trust, Staying Safe, Reliability etc
    Corporate Identity & Publishing Information
    Obligatory Spreadsheets & Modelling
    Scratch Programming & Kodu
    Y8:
    Website Design, Phishing and more e-safety (inc. hacking, trojans etc)
    Computer Hardware
    Open Source Software and Report Writing
    Flash Animation

Y9's a project based task that rotates every year or so, but covers quite a few different skills from image editing, document creation, audio, programming and tablet pcs...

8. We do (and no plans to change): Y7: ESafety, Graphics (Photoshop), Databases (Access), PC Basics (parts of a PC, binary etc), Games programming (Kodu). Y8: The Web (HTML, Blogs etc.), 3D Design (Sketchup), Databases 2, PC Basics 2, Games programming (Kodu, Scratch, possibly Unity 3D or similar next year).

9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

When I read all these threads about the future of ICT/Computing and talk to other teachers in the county, two things strike me:
    1. everyone is obsessed with programming, which makes me think that there aren't many computer scientists involved anywhere - programming was probably about 10% of my (Computer Science) degree.
    2. Captain Obvious might be right...
    I'm wondering whether the change from ICT to Computing doesn't actually require much in the way of extra skills and content, it just requires a different approach. A change from worrying about what the end result looks like to worrying about how it works.
    For example, web graphics (e.g. OCR Nationals Unit 21). If students produce a navigation bar by clicking a few buttons in Fireworks, then what has that taught them? It might look like one you'd see on a web-site, but they won't have a clue about how it works. All they've learnt is that you can make a navigation bar by clicking a few buttons in Fireworks. That's a sort of ICT/office practice approach.
    If, on the other hand, you show them, say, CSS and the hover: selector and get them to animate the navigation bar themselves, they might produce something slightly less sophisticated, but they'll understand how it works and they could apply the same skills to animating other things. Isn't that a more computing-style approach to the same task?
    Similarly, if you make a web-page in something like Serif WebPlus, you don't get an understanding of how it works - you might as well do it in Word. If you use an application, such as Expression Web or Dreamweaver, that allows you to see the code, then you can tweak the HTML and CSS and see how it works.

10. staxis

staxis New commenter

Isn't the main change to the KS3 ICT PoS for September 2012 that there isn't one? I am a little confused how people are planning for a blank PoS. We all know that the mood is to include more programming but that is about all we do know.

11. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Agree with previous posters will be keeping it the same already doing scratch will include Kodu and possibly code avengers apart from that no change!

12. My Computer Science degree was quite different. Programming and programming linked modules were the lions share with some databases and project management thrown in for good measure.
    We will mostly be doing the same as we are now but have introduced small basic into the ks3 curriculum, kids are so far really enjoying it. There are some really cool things in there you can play with incl. a form of logo. And its all FREE!

13. chris1980

chris1980 New commenter

HI would you be prpared to share any sow resources and i am completely starting again and there is only me in the department now as most have left because of redundencies
    Thanks