1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT in the next 5 years

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by tes1, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Where do people think ICT will go in the next five years?
    Will we have ICT rooms or will all pupils have Ipads or other devices?
    School around our area are buying Ipads 500 at a time!

2. Where do people think ICT will go in the next five years?
    Will we have ICT rooms or will all pupils have Ipads or other devices?
    School around our area are buying Ipads 500 at a time!

3. As much as I like the tablet as a consumer device, I can see them being the 3D of the educational world. Exciting and initially popular, attracting huge investment, followed by a rapid decline whilst those with a vested interest keep blindly telling the world that this representes 'the future'.

Ultimately students' own computing devices will be as ubiquitous as colouring pencils, but not in the next 5 years. We'll keep on buying desktops and the odd set of netbooks or laptops in the meantime thankyouverymuch :)

4. My daughter's school insist that they all have netbooks that we lease from some company or other that they have a deal with. I think this is way to cut down on ICT spending within the school.
    Perhaps that will be the way forward?

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I started teaching ICT 15 years ago using desktop machines, standard microsoft suite, bit of macromedia and some graphics.
    Today I do the same but switch the name macromedia for serif.
    I don't see any change long term. Desktops are cheaper, easier to upgrade, and the software is far more powerful than anything on a tablet.

6. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

epecially given the ratio of Apple devices to PC units. We move (have moved, homeless? Old school closed today, new one opens Sept (touch wood)) into new build where ever other Dept has Macs apart from us and to tell the truth happy with that so kids can see mac is nice but PC is workhorse

7. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Yes OK DJ most of what we teach is much the same, give or take a few brand names.
    But the big change is the machines in use esp price
    I don't know what the devices will look like .but I do believe that in 5 years time* most of a student's basic IT needs will be addressed by a machine that they <u>all</u> can easily afford to buy for themselves and will carry with them. IT rooms and school provided equipment will probably still exist but it will be increasingly hard to justify the capital/maintenance costs of them
    *already for increasing numbers of our own students their smart phone is the "weapon of choice" for many of their IT related activites . Only resorting (reluctantly) to desktop/laptops when they need to type lots of text or need more horsepower - video editing/3d graphics

8. djphillips1408

erm for what? it's angry birds,youtube and facebook on the phones. Give me examples of how you use them in class that is more than one lesson and relates to anything meaningful.

9. djphillips1408

Well then you will be wrong. Wanna put a couple of hundred quid on it?

10. Sorry dj, if you don't think the current "office skills" curriculum couldn't be taught with a device bought for &pound;40-60 then you're barking! If they can "afford" (I say this, parents buying of course) a smartphone in their pocket, there's no reason why they can't have a portable OS machine they plug in and work on...

11. Lovely article in the MicroMart magazine out tomorrow by the way, called "The Next 5 Years". Worth a read as very relevant to this....

12. The conversation is silly. I back DJ on this one... show me a series of meaningful and sustained learning activities that involve smart phones or cheaper mobile devices. No way! It is fanciful and not grounded in the practicalities of what happens in a classroom.
    Yes, what you say COULD in theory be done, but it would be such a massive headache. Different phones, different platforms, different cloud based apps, potential for massive distractions.
    Using personal mobile device in the classroom is fraught with distractions, it is the high tech equivalent of hiding a comic in the textbook. "Look miss, I am doing my work...."
    I anyone is using personal digital devices for any significant part of their ICT teaching broadcast it loud and clear, because it would be a marvel to behold.

13. djphillips1408

woof - point me to an app that lets you mail merge especially one that lets you mail merge graphics.
    woof - point me to an app that lets you slice up images and exeport as html
    woof - show me something that lets you design tables, forms, queries and reports in the way access does, don't give me HanDbase - got it does not do the same job
    woof - point me to an app that lets me set front covers of national newspapers in the way publisher / pageplus does
    woof - show me an app that can let kids 3d model their own homes like sketchup does
    woof - explain to me why kids armed with a mobile phone full of angry birds and 3g access to **** woudl be as productive as those kids who have filtered internet access and a block on java/flash based games on a network.
    It is you my friend who are barking if you believe that kids armed with portable devices can produce the quality of work that I currently get my kids to produce

14. djphillips1408

oh yes and do you really believe that in 5 years time offices up and down this country will be slinging all their computers in the bin because thier employees can use mobile devices. Or are you looking to equip your kids with a skillset that serves no purpose for them in the world of work. That frankly is bloody shocking.

15. djphillips1408

Actaully would you like to take the bet then - what figure would you have in mind, I'll even give you odds of 5 to 1

16. Mobile devices are good for consuming but not for creation.

Give me a smartphone and task me with producing a relational database with validation and I honestly wouldn't know where to start. Give me a smartphone an ask me to produce a 5 page website and I wouldn't have a clue. Hell, give me a smartphone and ask me to interrogate a 5 page website and I'll give you 3 minutes before I get fed up with zooming in, zooming out, scrolling...

I use my Android phone all the time. I check emails, I sometimes watch YouTube videos, I check Facebook, etc. I wouldn't say that I do *any* content creation on it. For that, the desktop will always win. Even when mobile devices are ubiquitous - people will need a keyboard and a decent sized display (even if it's a roll up OLED or a pico projector).

17. Thinking about technology and the role of education means thinking about education, not technology. There is far too much sloppy thinking these days, mainly because ICT is still somewhat of a mystical arcane world where people speak techie-dome and think in binary, and lie way beyond the reach of sharp minds that have kept other bits of education sane.
    Simply put, don't let the techie-tail wag the educational dog ! !

18. Absolutely happy to admit I may have misread the topic here, but my reply was to this quote
    I wasn't thinking of a phone here, I'm thinking each pupil would buy their own portable pc (e.g. tablet) and use that. There's no reason why software couldn't be used to "plug in" to the school system, and even an app that offers a shared space that drops resources from lessons in automatically.
    Am I meowing, barking or eating the golden fruit? [​IMG]

19. djphillips1408

Barking - how are you going to overcome the distratctions of using their own apps (angry birds, doodle jump etc..) and the ability to use 3g/4g to watch ****?
    You must be a hell a teacher to enable kids to all stay on task with material that would engage them as much as anything that they can be distracted by on the kit they bring in. I would never have a hope in hell of being able to achieve that feat.

20. Well, I have seen schools that have sucessfully adopted the every student netbook programme, so it can (and does) work. I don't expect however that you can just chuck tablet / laptop devices at any school and it would work - it requires a heck of a lot of foresight and there are always problems.
    With regards to your second point..... a two pronged approach - to use their device they have to log into a remote desktop to use the apps. Second.. well, it's the age old argument "how do you engage kids?" in general. Kids will stay on task if the lesson/material is interesting enough, they see the worth and if the punishment for not doing it is severe enough!!!!!!
    (In all seriousness, there are problems, but some schools are already solving them and 4-5 years ahead of us on it).