1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT in school...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_mc1, Mar 18, 2012.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

With the way a creative curriculum works, would you, as a teacher, prefer to have a series of lessons to teach ICT (similar to the old QCA just more up-to-date) or the skills needed to teach each aspect and the freedom to apply them to the topic you are currently studying? I'm curerntly trying to develop my school's ICT curriculum and would like to know how it is taught in other schools? What works well?

2. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

With the way a creative curriculum works, would you, as a teacher, prefer to have a series of lessons to teach ICT (similar to the old QCA just more up-to-date) or the skills needed to teach each aspect and the freedom to apply them to the topic you are currently studying? I'm curerntly trying to develop my school's ICT curriculum and would like to know how it is taught in other schools? What works well?

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

My Y5/6 children are completely savvy where I.C.T. is concerned. The way I teach is this: I do one or two lessons on a particular aspect - say spreadsheets. Often unneccessary but some of the children need the input. Then I include speadsheet work in our topic work for the next few weeks and they practise their skills cross curricularly.
    Hope this makes sense.

4. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I teach skills as part of a cross-curriculum. We do similar to the poster above, in terms of introducing skills then using them in relation to our topic. I also make sure I cover things that aren't in the QCA schemes or even the National Curriculum, for example keyboard shortcuts they might not know or feaures of a powerpoint (because most of them know how to put a powerpoint together, but not about how a powerpoint should enhance a speech etc.)
    I really think the QCA schemes cannot be followed for the majority of children, because they are becoming more adept at computers at an earlier age. Teachers need to focus their ICT lessons more on equipping children with necessary skills (like how to do a screenshot) than the basics of using Microsoft Office programes, which they know anyway.

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

agree, IF children have been taught how to use Office programs - I frequently come across classes with a few pupils who are self-taught or have learnt from an older sibling, with many in the class ignorant of very basics.

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

True, I'm posting from a Year 6 teacher's point of view, so my class tend to have the basics anyway! But definitely lower down the school it's about general computer and Office-based skills until they're all at a certain level.