1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT in learning activities

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by kindling_not_vessels, Feb 8, 2012.

1. In line with inspection recommendations I am trying to encourage our staff to help students use ICT in their learning (use of ICT for teaching is not an issue).
    Could anyone suggest a source of information about activities involving ICT that could be used to enrich the learning experience in Design Technology.
    I have plenty of general ideas for staff, it’s the subject specific ideas I’m looking for – thanks.

2. In line with inspection recommendations I am trying to encourage our staff to help students use ICT in their learning (use of ICT for teaching is not an issue).
    Could anyone suggest a source of information about activities involving ICT that could be used to enrich the learning experience in Design Technology.
    I have plenty of general ideas for staff, it’s the subject specific ideas I’m looking for – thanks.

3. Our students within food are taught to use excel for - taste testing charts, costing food products, questionnaires. We use a nutrition program - which students have access to at home in which they can produce nutrition & food labels, costings, adapting the recipe to make it healthier, changing a recipe to make it suitable for specific target groups. Tables to produce time plans. Students also work on their own or in groups on powerpoint presentations across both KS3 & KS4. Photographs etc etc
    hth

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

The most obvious one - CAD.
    Personalising Direct Mailers for Graphics by using a mail merge from Excel.
    Research tasks to create a full Powerpoint presentation to the class.
    Sure there are plenty of others but not quite got my head in gear...

5. re

re New commenter

modelling circuits using computers.
    Changing bitmaps to vector drawings for laser cutting
    Programming PIC chips using BASIC or Logicator
    Writing up projects using all sorts.

ICT invaluale in D&T

6. <font size="2" face="Arial">A couple of stand out companies for me currently, A1 Technologies who champion D&T in the curriculum and supply 3D Printing software and hardware, also Alderbarran robotics (Robosavvy in the UK), who have the most jaw dropping, fully programmable robot as well as detailed lesson modules. Both of who give training (thankfully).
    From a more entry level perspective, how about using stop motion image capture to show the development of a 'build', it's quite satisfying to look back and see a project come together that may have taken weeks to build in a couple of mins.
    </font>

7. timbdesign

timbdesign New commenter

You don't specify whether you are being asked to deliver ITC capability?.
    "ICT can be used to find, develop, analyse and present information..." is taken from the KS3 PoS.
    Find - Pupils use ICT to research the context for their designs. They need to carefully consider the sources and be discerning which information will be useful.
    Develop - Modelling software is used in most areas of D&T to develop designs whether it is the ingredients for a food product to balance nutritional needs, 2D vector/bit map graphics, electronic schematics or 3D models for manufacture.
    Analyse - Information gathered during research, user focus groups or product testing should be analysed to inform design.
    Present - Design folios are often created using ICT and increasingly make use of a wide range of information and media. Powerpoint is accepted by exam boards so why not get students started in Y7.
    All this begs the question why ICT was split from D&T shortly after the national curriculum was introduced? Few countries around the world have a subject called IT or ICT and when you say we teach it in all key stages they usually look puzzlend and ask "But what do you teach?". In my view ICT is a very clever set of digital tools and should not be taught as a subject. We should campaigning for computer studies to be an option at KS4 with ICT capability delivered through D&T projects in KS3. Ofsted has reported on more than one occasion that D&T is the best subject for making effective use of ICT and, where D&T is taught well, teachers are already delivering high standards of ICT capability for pupils.
    Bringing ICT and D&T together would solve the lack of ICT for D&T, provide wothwhile contexts for teaching ICT and modernise the delivery of D&T. Managed properly this would raise standards in both subjects. How many head teachers would turn down a properly structured argument along these lines?