1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT in F2

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by choralsongster, Jan 1, 2012.

1. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Hi
    I have a scheduled lesson once a week in the ICT suite with the F2 Reception kids. This is in addition to the free access to the 2 class computers, Beebot & other ICT resources. Unfortunately we don't have an IWB, so find it difficult to integrate into a lot of focussed sessions.
    So far this year, we have explored mouse control through drawing on Paint, and have then spent some time on MS Word, learning where the keys are on the keyboard (upper-lower case recognition), typing own names and words, changing colour, size and font of text and then inserting clipart.
    Has anyone got any other ideas on basic computing skills? I was planning to introduce Powerpoint, but probably after Easter. Was thinking perhaps of teaching basic graphing packages, to link in with surveys etc in PSRN.
    Appreciate your thoughts...

2. Do you have access to the internet?
    My reception class love exploring poisson rouge, espresso and the cbeebies website, i've used the games as mouse skills
    Most of the children in my class haven't used a mouse before - not because they don't have computers at home but because they either use a trackpad on a laptop or a touch screen like on an ipad or a DS, first ict session we had, over half the class were trying to touch the screen and couldn't understand why it wasn't working

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

There are some lovely interactive stories on two [that should be a numeral but the keys' stuck!] Simple.

4. Try www helpkidzlearn.co.uk lots os different levels, you now have to join but its still free.

5. The web suggestions are all good ideas. Cbeebies has brilliant activities and stories
    www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/
    An internet search will locate many activities for Foundation Stage eg who are thier favourite characters? ( Might be worth doing the search away from the children initially to be on the safe side)
    If you're thinking of using PowerPoint with your class you could easily create stories with the children using photograhs they have taken or scaned drawings. Add text and possibly sound effects. If you want to extend further you can use Sound Recorder to record the children (you need to save the sound file) then add this to a slide or even attach to an item on the page so that when it is clicked the sound file plays. Have fun

6. WOW you have already done so much!!! POWERPOINT!!! my class are no where near being able to do this...they are still at the type name stage and like another poster they have poor mouse skills because of using touch screens/laptops out of school. We use a lot of the sites suggested above...Crickweb is a good one to look at too especially for cross curricular links.

7. choralsongster

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. The Head always wants an ICT MTP, but don't think it works in FS. Think I'll continue with the ideas I had, and integrate some of your ideas as well xx

8. choralsongster