1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT in Early Years

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by laurapie, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have just started my first teaching job as Nursery Teacher and desperatly want to develop our ICT provision! We have just one old workstation which is dodgy at the best of times! I realise this is an expensive area to resource and was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas as to how I could do this??!! I have got some fund raising ideas for parents but feel we need so much money, I'm not sure we'll ever get there! are there any initiatives or funding out there??
    Thanks in advance
    Laura

2. ICT isn't just computers..... think lateral and keep begging.

3. Perhaps fundraise for a new PC but in the meantime think of other ICT opportunities that you can create and encourage. We have some cheap remote control toys that are great (rechargeable batteries are a must) Old mobile phones, TV remotes, digital cameras can be used as toys in the role play area. Places such as Early Learning Centre do reasonably priced, child-friendly CD players too.

4. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

5. Thanks for sharing that list, it's great. I've just started in a reception class and would like to include more ICT in other areas rather than just having a computer area.

6. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Also, how are other classes for computers? In my school we have about 3 computers per class. I know that there are several classes where they never use them all. Is there someone who might be willing to let you have one from their room or is there a laptop you could arrange to use some of the time?

7. Hiya,
    Thank you for all you advice, I am really lucky as I have quite a bit of stuff for ICT in terms of phones, kiddie cameras, and remote control things, its a good idea to check out the rest of the school, maybe someone will take pity on us!!! I love the metal detectors idea - how fab to find them at a car boot sale, I'm definatly keeping a look out for those!

8. Hi all!
    Its good to know there are so many of us who feel so passionately about the use of ICT. Well as contributed by others i have personally used a lap top for group teaching with the help of co-teachers. It is known as station teaching.With limited ICT resources this is a really good strategy, provided you have a co-teacher to work with. My school in Pakistan known as the Beaconhouse School Sytem has recently initiated the teacher assistant programme for helping out the lead teacher in the Early Years. It is really working out. Using one laptop on rotation or for that matter a desktop in one corner of the room can fulfill the same purpose. The key is to maximise on the resource that is in your posession. One can work toward acquiring more slowly and gradually.

9. You could try your local freegle or freecycle, I have had loads of lovely things for my class. It might be that someone has an old computer that would be newer than yours. Always worth a look or ask.