1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT in a PRU

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by poundten, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I am working with a teacher keen to get ICT developed in a KS4 PRU. She has decided on OCR Nationals (Unit 1 and 22 (sound)) and wonders what 3rd unit to try.
    Any advice and help would be great....useful for lots of schools nationally too
    Thanks in advance

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

IME web design unit 2 is the one that engages them the most. I ahve tutorials on how to build projects suitable for OCT Nationals in the resource bank that are free for you to download and install on your vle.

3. Thank you, that sounds good and is a really kind offer. Are the resources online or can they be shared via this forum.

Kind regards

Richard

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

they are in the resource bank on here, what software are you using?

5. I also work in a PRU, we are undergoing a reorganisation and there will no discrete ICT lessons next year. We are adopting a cross curricula approach using ITQ and Clait materials to teach skills and appilcation in subject areas. these qualifications are adaptable and easily attainable through different subject areas and do not require the invention of fake ICT porojects. I have found that the amount of screen dumps and writing required to achieve a nationals is not within the ability or attention span of our clients.

6. I'm in PRU as well and would suggest that you have a think about DiDA level one courses. It looks daunting but if you start by making the EPortfolio you can often engage the students as they often wont have done this before. I am assuming regular attendance is not guaranteed so working on individual tasks makes it much easier to manage them in the classroom. As long as they do some bits through the year you can have a big push at the end to finish it up.
    At the end of the course the students will have some experience in programmes that they will meet in the real world and most of them should get a GCSE equivilant qualification as well.
    And whatever you go for i wish you the best of luck