1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT IGCSE - Help!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Teabagkarma, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Teabagkarma

Teabagkarma New commenter

Hi
    I work in an international school and our ICT teacher has just done a runner. It has fallen to me to take over the course, which only started in Sept. The school is not going to recruit until Sept, so it is left to me to keep things ticking. There are no resources for the course except one textbook! Which, if photocopied and bits and bobs generated will cover paper 1 theory...right?
    From what I see the basic Office package covers the majority of practical exam requirements.
    Question: what do most schools use for teaching the web design component?
    Question: is subscribing to TeachICT.com the way to go for resources and schemes of work?
    Question: If the kids are entered for a November exam, 2013...what date would it be expected to complete the practical exams...September 2013.

I have a million questions but that will suffice for starters!

<u>Any help</u> guys out there would be appreciated...help, links anything!

Cheers

Teabag

2. Teabagkarma

Hi
    I work in an international school and our ICT teacher has just done a runner. It has fallen to me to take over the course, which only started in Sept. The school is not going to recruit until Sept, so it is left to me to keep things ticking. There are no resources for the course except one textbook! Which, if photocopied and bits and bobs generated will cover paper 1 theory...right?
    From what I see the basic Office package covers the majority of practical exam requirements.
    Question: what do most schools use for teaching the web design component?
    Question: is subscribing to TeachICT.com the way to go for resources and schemes of work?
    Question: If the kids are entered for a November exam, 2013...what date would it be expected to complete the practical exams...September 2013.

I have a million questions but that will suffice for starters!

<u>Any help</u> guys out there would be appreciated...help, links anything!

Cheers

Teabag

3. bikesmith

bikesmith New commenter

My first port of call would be to look at the website for the board running your are course. You should find on there exactly what needs to be taught and the deadlines for coursework. I think most boards the coursework is due around early May time of the year of the final exam.
    Again, look on the internet for books for this subject, there are plenty of books around that your school should be able to buy. There are also lots of free resources out there if you look out for them.
    If you get stuck PM me and I can try help you out with things I might have that would fit your course.
    L

4. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

A subscription to teach-ict.com (and I have no vested interest) is well worth the money in my opinion. I have used it for years with various curriculums.

5. Dreamweaver is nice - particularly if you can still get a good deal on a site license from a regional reseller.

If you're still using Office 2003 (or earlier), FrontPage will cope - BUT - when I used it, every year I seemed to end

up having to submit a rather apologetic screed to the the board pointing out the parts of the web design assignment that FP

would mangle.

KompoZer is free - and covers everything they need. At my current school we use KompoZer, but they don't follow the CIE

course.

CIE have reasonably detailed schemes of work and other teacher-submitted resources available via their teacher support

site
    (your exams officer should be able to sort you out with a free login). If you're following the CIE IGCSE, Steve

Copley's website
    is worth a good look.

Last year's timetable indicates that CIE's November practical window should usually be around the 2nd and 3rd weeks of October.

6. goodness what a nightmare - I am a head of dept - if you need any more support - what is best way to contact you other than tes

7. Teabagkarma

Many thanks for your input...you have confirmed quite a few things and pointed me in the right direction on other matters...much appreciated!
    Ronnie