1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT -----> Computing GCSE L2

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Catherinellinos, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Not just as a response to eBacc and vocational quals changes, I'm aiming at bringing in GCSE Computing in addition to our OCR National in ICT. If there's any pointers for resources on the programming side, I'd be eternally grateful, as staff skill development on hardware is one thing - break-neck speed from bottom up on programming is another ball game! Basically, a request for help. Nah, make that a plea!
    The other reason for bringing in Computing, is to bring into our school exposure to real IT Professional skills not just creating "rounded ICT proficient students", contentious this may be to some, but coming from industry into teaching - I'd never used the "printscreen" button in my life before!

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

3. Many teachers have this strange idea that the usual MS Office WP, DTP, PowP't, DBase & Serif etc skills aren't 'real IT Professional skills'. They are.
    'rounded' students would have to have those skills.

4. I have full sympathy - it is not easy getting staff who have a background in programming who will be able to teach Computing GCSE.
    Although it has its advocates, Python is a bum steer. There are far fewer jobs in industry compared to other main language, and most students go on to learn Java at college/uni, so ideally go with that. Ultimately, it doesn't matter too much on language because you are teaching programming principles, but you may as well kick them off with the language they will be learning anyway. Java or C# (C# has a virtually identical syntax to Java).
    Here's a few things that could work for you:
    • Get them really stuck into the idea of variables, sequence, selection and iteration using any/all of KODU/Alice/Scratch.
    • Followed by learning the language essentials by creating Console based programs (with the free MS Visual Studio express C#)
    • Then progress onto Windows based application development
    • If you are feeling very brave, for your most able students you can then start teaching more thoroughly Object Oriented Programming principles and really extend to new places. Download the XNA game development studio for C# if you want to do some exciting (but challenging) stuff.