1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT GCSE - Delivery on 1 hour per week over 3 years

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by drochester, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Hi,
    My school has suggested that if I want to deliver the new ICT GCSE (OCR) I will only have 1 hour per week & will have to deliver that over three years with an 'ICT Club' as an option to gain additional time over the period. What does anyone think?

2. So, realistically, you will get about 100 hours. We do that GCSE and get about 175 hours in Yrs 10 and 11. I assume some of that will be in Year 9. I have doubts about the potential maturity of most students to do controlled assessments that young.
    By 'club' you mean you don't get paid? That's bonkers.
    What do 'real' subjects get to deliver a GCSE? I mean like History or Geography or an MFL.
    If you are doing this simply because you think students should have this opportunity - then don't. It will only backfire on you.

3. Sounds to me like a bad idea. Are you running Nationals now? I'd consider putting something in writing to TPTB about the future value of vocational qualifications - both to the student and to the school - and stand your ground.

4. Sounds like non-Option ICT in many schools (i.e. you get 1 hr per week in Year 9, 1 in Year 10, 1 in Year 11). It's not beyond the realms of possiblilty you can get students to 1 GCSE equivalent (three units) in this time. One unit per year works.

5. Oh. Misread, forgive me. You're doing the new ICT GCSE rather than the OCR Nationals. I've not looked into this thoroughly enough, but is it like the old split of 2 papers and 40% coursework? If so, coursework in year 9, exam in year 10, exam 2 in year 11? I guess it's possible....

6. It's 60% controlled assessment, and 2 exams of 20% each. The controlled assessments are 20 hours each (board recommended). Given the loss of about 12% of the time at the start and end of lessons and absences, you would need to allocate 23 one hour lessons for each one. Fancy doing that at the rate of one lesson per week? That's the whole of Autumn and Spring terms, with preparation to do first to show them how to do it? One year per controlled assessment would be my guess and one year to do the exams. It simply won't happen.

7. shenn

shenn New commenter

We used to do OCR GCSE ICT A on 1 hour a week in year 9-11 and we are a girls selective school where most of them get A's and A*'s at GCSE and we could never do it properly or without making the students hate ICT
    Year 9 never really got to grips with the coursework and we ended up not teaching any theory to them due to the coursework taking most of the time and I felt very guilty about them not being prepared for their exams as well as thye should have
    We abandoned this last year and I was told to do Creative iMedia Level 2 instead which is a bit micky mouse but achievable in the time
    Not looked at the new specs but I suppose controlled assessments will take up most of the time and theory will be rushed
    I wouldn't recommend this structure to anyone

8. Edexcel ICT 2010 would better suit the situation then. Two units, 40% exam and a 40 hour controlled assessment.

9. It's not strictly an ICT GCSE, but we do AQA GCSE Business and Communications Systems in 1x50 mins per week in Years 10 and 11. 90% of the year group do it, and our results have been good. We like it and the students don't hate it!
    It is 2/3 ICT practical skills and 1/3 Business Studies style theory work. At the end they all leave having proved they can use spreadsheets, databases and make business documents because they have to do it in an externally examined practical exam. We are on the first time through the changed spec this summer though, so I hope our results will hold up. I think you could do this in the time you've been given.

10. We used to do the old spec BACS course but haven't chosen the new one due to the 12 hours (I think from memory) of controlled assessment. I didn't think this was feasable/do-able on 1 lesson per week. Must admit, we did really well on the old course - 70% C+ with a whole cohort! If there wasn't controlled assessment like the rest of GCSEs we'd still be doing it!
    Now do AQA Functional Skills instead.

11. For the past 5 years we have been doing the AQA short course (spec A) with whole year groups starting the coursework in Year 9 and then doing the exam in Year 10. We have had fairly good results - last year 89% A*-C. Major downside only two teachers delivering the course so huge amounts of coursework to mark (100 a piece and they aren't thin)
    I took over as HoD and have continued but with the new spec, but I am changing it from Sept 2011 back to general ICT in Year 9 covering topics in more depth including databases, web design and am also going to try and create a game making unit. The students can then either opt for doing the full GCSE in Year 10/11 (with the normal lesson allocations) or do Functional Skills. The school wants all the students to leave with some form of ICT qualification but can't give the allocated time hence Functional Skills, and with only 2 members of staff a better workload!!!!!
    My experience of the controlled assessment tasks have been that a majority of the Year 9's like someone else has mentioned are not mature enough for this pressure yet and only the brighter kids or the ones who want to do well, do do well! The students have started to resent ICT as they are being forced to do something that they don't want to do and this has had an impact on AS applications for us...although to be honest the new option block didn't help this year either and as a result haven't got a Year 12 class for next year :( Am going to have to fight hard to keep the AS/A2 going!