1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Funding/Grants

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by bert1905, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have just been appointed the role of ICT cordinator. When I enquired about the budget, as some of the equipment is well out of date, I was laughed out of the office.
    Has anyone got any ideas or advice that will enable me to obtain some funding/grants to update our schools equipment?

2. Primary or secondary?
    When you went for the interview, what did you discuss with the Head with regards to budgets? Pehaps get a copy of your school's development plan as a starting point and see where ICT fits into the short, medium and long term goals, then see the Head again with a couple of proposals about how to reach those goals. Rolling plans avoid big spends in any one year but need to be mapped out in terms of goals - that's all our Head ever understands! Be slightly cautious about trying to make too many big changes too quickly before fully understanding where the school is at and what staff are capable of - ICT changes can stress those at the receiving end out if you aren't too careful.
    Schools used to get various pots of money that were ring-fenced for ICT spending. Don't know what happended to them but I certainly don't see any of it these days. Make contact with your LEA advisor and they ahould be able to give you a summary. Also, make contact with coordinators in other similar schools and visit them - it's amazing what you can find out from them and you might also be able to use this with the Head - i.e. the school down the road has X so we ought to, type argument.
    Good luck. It's a sh1 t job but every day is different.

3. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Most pots of money for ICT have gone along with the priority of ICT. I would make a list of what you need - look at what you have and flog it, if you don't need it, on ebay (we have sold loads and made enough to fund some of the items we wanted). Try getting in touch with local companies as they often refresh their laptops etc fairly regularly and may be able to pick up some okay stuff that you can use.
    Hope that helps.

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Can only echo above, money is no longer there. You can get decent deals on refurbished machines, we just requipped a room of 31 machines for 4.5k by getting refurbs off Misco. Having an eBay account is essential to flog stuff you don't use. You might want ot think about altering schemes of work so that you can take advantage of open source software, my Y7 SoW is very much open source or dirt cheap software.

5. Million Dollar Qn Dave - What do you do at year 7 out of interest?
    What software do you teach?

6. tonyuk

I would echo that you can do e-safety with moviemaker, sound editing with audacity, gamemaking with gamemaker or kudo or scratch (and a bit of programming), programming with small basic and a bit of animation with pivot and graphic editing with gimp all free or open source!!!

7. I work with a number of Schools and Colleges and to be honest most are in the same boat. You could look to buy second hand PC's laptops etc, speak to your neighbouring schools and maybe look to utlilise there Network Infrastructure.
    There are lots of organisations who will help to dispose of old redundant kit and pay you a percentage of the remarket value.
    You could also look to finance the cost of the equipment over the life of the kit, but do ensure you do your market research and only enter into compliant lease agreements as you are a School. Keep your Bursar happy.
    I have attached a few links which maybe of interest regarding leasing and also ICT in Schools.
    http://www.syscap.com/news-and-opinions/434-1804-primary-schools-in-the-ukprimary-schools-limited-ict-spend
    http://www.syscap.com/news-and-opinions/438-ict-spend-boost-pupil-performance
    http://www.syscap.com/images/stories/pdfs/dfe%20guide.pdf

8. tonyuk

Really research finance if you think about it as you will end up paying more for the kit some companies will really get their pound of flesh!
    Also look at virtualisation (Im not spelling it the American way!!!)

9. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

first couple of lessons - fireworks (could easily be done with paint.net ir gimpshop)
    next few lessons dtp stuff with serif pageplus (cheap for site licence but once again could be done with scribus)
    next few lessons - triggered animation quiz using open office impress and audacity
    couple of sketchup lessons
    1 lesson Flash - only to do the Julian Opie art exercise in resource bank no animation, you cuold easily run this with OS vector graphic creator like Inkscape
    1 lesson Lightbot :)
    few lessons on comic life (dirt cheap for site licence)
    couple lessons of monkeyjam
    top trumps exercise in Access - 2 lessons (see resource bank) - sorry no freeware option on that front
    About 5 weeks worth of serif webplus (again cheapt for school licence) this is our end of year exam which is practical test
    Round it off with a few lessons on scratch and dance ejay
    Pretty much it, and no token nods to the National Curriculum :)