1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT for SEN

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by mike1chambers, Dec 5, 2011.

1. mike1chambers

mike1chambers New commenter

Hi,
    Been given £1000 to spend on ICT linked to SEN (Primary) what would you buy?
    Cheers
    Mike

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

switch it maker 2 and choose it maker 2.

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Also a symbol writing programme such as Symwriter (widget) for pupils to use to write with as well as staff to make resources (depending on pupils needs)
    (sorry for 2 posts my reply posted before I had finished, don't know why.)

4. Can you give us a few more details? I'm an ICT coordinator in a special school, and have bought some iPads and we love them! Even my Microsoft loving technician has succumbed to their charms - we use tham as communication aids, for speech facilitation, sensory activities, curriculum activities - the advent calendar I've just put on them has charmed even the staunchest techophobes!

5. Also seconded about helpkidzlearn - Inclusive technology have got some interesting things - just depends of the level of SEN you are working with.

6. mike1chambers

Hi,
    Thanks for your help so far.
    We arer a mainstream school with a mixture of needs, ML, ASD and behaviour are our main.
    The site helpkidlearn is not working. Is it the right www?
    cheers
    Mike

7. mike1chambers

Hi
    we are a mainstream school with various SEN needs, ML, ASD and Behaviour mostly.
    The helpkidlearn site address must be wrong as its not working.
    Thanks for your help
    Mike

8. mike1chambers

We are very lucky as we already have 25 IPODs! What apps are worth downloading?

9. Try www.helpkidzlearn.com
    25 iPods - very nice! Again it depends on your pupils - we've got Proloquo2go as a communication aid, Talking Tom or any of those guys, ChooChoo (my current favourite!), Balloonimals, Dramatic Music, Vocal Zoo and seasonal Jacquie Lawson stuff. This is our first term with them so my experience is a bit limited.
    How do you administer your iPods if you don't mind me asking?

10. Ditto leeds 28. We use iPads extensively, for engagement, responsiveness, communication, writing,audio books, and much more. Bev evans interactive whiteboard apps are also great.