1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Exam Boards

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by DZ77, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I work in a new british international school in the Middle East. In September 2012 we will start the ICT GCSE. Anyone have any ideas as to which exam board and course is good? I was looking at the EdExcel single award any sugesstions?

2. I work in a new british international school in the Middle East. In September 2012 we will start the ICT GCSE. Anyone have any ideas as to which exam board and course is good? I was looking at the EdExcel single award any sugesstions?

3. CIE's IGCSE ICT is a good programme. Edexcel and IGCSE are more or less on the same lines and I feel you can choose the one which you are more comfortable with.
    All the best. Cheers!!

4. Avoid CCEA.
    - Unless you like mark schemes that seem to have little relation to the task specifications.
    - And, unless you like task specifications that make no sense.

5. We do AQA. I wish we didn't.

6. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Not OCR you'll be sacked!
    1% A*
    30%-A*-C
    80% A*-G
    20% U

With a cohort of grammar and private schools.

7. We're considering dumping Edexcel after the exam paper last week. I mean - 4 marks for drawing a diagram to show how you would connect a tablet pc to a TV - why? In reality you'd use the cable and look at the ends and see where they fit! Or is that just me?

8. I thought Mr. Gove told us ICT GCSE was easy and lacked academic rigour Was he mistaken? [​IMG]

9. No, he said it was boring.

10. I'd say there are a number of issues you might need to think of in an international setting in the Middle East:

• What does your local Ministry of Education recognise? You may find that some of the more vocationally oriented options

open to you wouldn't enable some of your local students to apply for overseas scholarships on the strength of those

qualifications. NB: for those of you who haven't taught in the region and are wondering why this is issue #1, often a place will be offered at local HE institutions to a student on the strength of IGCSE passes and/or AS grades at the end of Year 12.
    • What will your international students do after KS4? If IBDP Computer Science is the next step, then IGCSE ICT isn't going to be as good a preparation for them. CIE do offer an IGCSE Computer Studies course, but if you were limited to delivering a single ICT/Computing course, would you want to offer that?
    • What do your students study at KS3? If you've been doing some web design and the students are reasonably familiar with

spreadsheets, CIE's IGCSE ICT course is probably more appropriate. If you have spent more time on databases, DTP and graphics, they may be better prepared for Edexcel's IGCSE ICT course.