1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Development plan and VLE.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by 8910rebecca, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Hello everyone[​IMG]
    I am in my final year of a four year BA in Primary Education.
    As part of my final year assessment I need to write an ICT development plan for the school I have just completed my final year placement at. The school will not actually see it, but the plan needs to be credible and managable.
    Two things that I definitely want to do in the plan are...
    1. Introduce a VLE.
    2. Reorganise ICT technical support to be more efficient and less costly for the school.
    I need to wait until after half term to go in and have a chat with the ICT co-ordinator. But I was wondering if anyone has any advice about school development plans they have written at their school? Also, I am torn between Fronter and Moodle as the learning platform to opt for. I have experience of both. Do you have any reccommendations that you can share with me?
    Any help will be much appreciated.
    Thank you xxxx
    [​IMG]

2. Hello everyone[​IMG]
    I am in my final year of a four year BA in Primary Education.
    As part of my final year assessment I need to write an ICT development plan for the school I have just completed my final year placement at. The school will not actually see it, but the plan needs to be credible and managable.
    Two things that I definitely want to do in the plan are...
    1. Introduce a VLE.
    2. Reorganise ICT technical support to be more efficient and less costly for the school.
    I need to wait until after half term to go in and have a chat with the ICT co-ordinator. But I was wondering if anyone has any advice about school development plans they have written at their school? Also, I am torn between Fronter and Moodle as the learning platform to opt for. I have experience of both. Do you have any reccommendations that you can share with me?
    Any help will be much appreciated.
    Thank you xxxx
    [​IMG]

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

From the limited information you've given your project is a change management one as opposed to a technical one. A skills and tech audit will be as you need to know if they have sufficient onsite tech to go down the Moodle route.However if they have no VLE whatsoever then why are you restricting it to these two? "I am learning" has been introduced at one of our feeders and they really use it whereas they struggled with uptake for Moodle.

4. Sorry if you think I didnt provide enough information.
    Yes I suppose you are right it is change management, but we must show that we can co-ordinate developments that are realistic, specific and measurable.
    I have simply confined it to Fronter and Moodle as these are two VLE platforms that I have experience of and I am the one who needs to write about the advantages and disadvantages in my discussion.
    I am going to go back into school and complete an audit of the equipment that they have etc so I can decide what I am going to do.
    I have had a look at I am learning and it looks really good, thank you for your help x

5. In the plan it would be useful to have an audit of staff skills and confidence (confidence is one of the biggest factors in uptake!), training (we used staff meeting time once each half term initially to update class pages in a supported way and introduce a couple of new skills; we also found a buddy system worked well, with weekly meetings between a more confident and a less confident user); I would always aim to include a meaningful learning activity that actively involves learners (as opposed to simply using the vle as a glorified website, it makes it a platform for learning!!!!); as for the type of learning platform - at the end of the day it is HOW it is used that is the important thing...... I didn't use either Fronter or Moodle, but know people who have used each and it really seems as though both have positives and negatives! You are more familiar with them than I am, but I know that when introducing colleagues to learning platforms, they were interested in how easy it was to update, to add pictures etc..... I would be looking for one that gave plenty of opportunities for collaboration - eg very easy for learners to work on wikis together or with people outside the school; that maybe had the option to record sound/video straight onto a page; that was easy to update and manage (integrating with SIMs can be useful in this situation!)

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Have you got the background on change management sorted?
    Bolman, L.G. and Deal, T.E. (1997)
    Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice and Leadership. 2nd
    Edition. Wiley and Sons. New York.
    Handy, C. 1993. Understanding
    Organizations. Fourth Edition.

Penguin: London
    Hayes, J. 2007. The theory and practice of change management. Second Edition. Palgrave Macmillan: Basingstoke UK
    Sherwin, L. 2007. Managing
    Change Toolkit.
    Available online at:

http://www.lindsay-sherwin.co.uk/guide_managing_change/html_overview/05_culture_handy.htm

Hope these references help.

7. Thank you so much JanWebb and DEmsley!!!
    One of our other assignments is all about the management of change in the implementation of a curriculum initiative eg. Mantle of the Expert. So I have done an awful lot of background reading about MOC.
    I have written all your suggestions down JWebb. I think the confidence one will be critical here. A lot of people at the school aren't that confident about ICT and therefore enthusiasm is quite low to start a VLE. Of course just because I am writing it in my plan doesn't mean they'll actually be getting one.
    Its been quite an interesting day of research today actually. I don't envy the job of the ICT co-ordinator, seems an awful lots of responsibility!!!
    Thanks again[​IMG]